The Kansas City Art Institute, a national leader in visual arts education, seeks nominations and applications for a full-time Assistant Professor position (NTT) in the Animation Department to begin in August of 2023. The successful candidate will play a vital role in further developing our curriculum.
Film + Media Studies
Kansas City, Missouri Area
Mar 28, 2023
KCAI Department of Animation
KCAI’s animation department provides students with a singularly unique education in the history and application of the medium. Our curriculum is organized into a suite of courses designed to progressively develop essential ideas, skills, and competencies over three years. All animation majors receive immersive instruction in classical, experimental, and digital animation techniques and technologies, as well as animation history, professional practice, and interaction with renowned visiting artists. Our students graduate with the momentum to continue producing and the know-how to begin building sustainable creative careers across a broad spectrum of roles.
Requirements for the Position
- The successful candidate’s qualifications, portfolio, and professional experience should demonstrate a dedicated and active body of work in animation.
- We seek an individual primarily focusing on 2D methodologies and associated production skills.
- Desired skills include 2D hand-drawn animation (classical & digital), life drawing for animation, and storyboarding.
- Additionally, the candidate should be able to demonstrate a broad understanding of the animation field.
- Applicants should be conversant with current professional practice in the.Demonstrate proficiency and ability to instruct the following software required: Toonboom Harmony, Adobe Creative Suite (Animate, Illustrator Photoshop & After FX.)
- The position requires the capacity to collaborate and support faculty colleagues, develop curriculum, and help expand our sophomore introduction to animation studio offerings and life drawing for elective animation courses.
- Candidates must possess the ability to instruct and advise students in developing an informed professional practice and robust portfolio in the field of animation.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and a strong collaborative spirit for teamwork and service to the department, our students, our institution, and the field are imperative.
Education and Experience Requirements
- An MFA and demonstrated professional achievement in the field with full-time college-level teaching experience preferred.
- BFA with substantial professional experience is also considered.
Application Deadlines and Procedures
Reviews of applications are ongoing and will continue until the position is filled.
Upload in PDF format only:
* Letter of application
* Curriculum vita
* Statement of teaching experience and philosophy
* A list of working web link(s) to personal & professional practice and supervised student work (examples with project descriptions where applicable or the same materials embedded in the PDF).
* List of 3 professional references we may contact
Applications with accessible PDF files and workable web links will be acknowledged by return e-mail.