WOOD TV8 in beautiful Grand Rapids, Mich. has a rare opening for a creative, motivated, and team-first Art & Design Director!
Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan Area
Jul 08, 2022
Lead a team of designers at the #1 legacy station in the West Michigan market. One of the most sought-after places to live in Michigan, Grand Rapids is nestled just a short drive from the shores of Lake Michigan. Grand Rapids has a vibrant and thriving downtown with restaurants, nightlife, and an impressive art scene. Grand Rapids is home to one of the largest art competitions in the country and is known as Beer City USA!
This position is part of the Creative Services team and works on projects for a wide array of mediums, including broadcast, print, and digital. You will have the opportunity to collaborate on projects both with short-term and long-term deadlines for news, sales, creative services, and large station projects. WOOD TV8 is known for community involvement leading to fun projects throughout the year such as ArtPrize, the Riverbank Run, The Michigan International Auto Show and more! We are looking for a visionary who is self-motivated and will make the station standout with great design work on every project.
The Art & Design Director reports to the Creative Services Director and is someone with excellent aesthetic judgment, a firm grip on messaging, visual storytelling and a team player who works well under pressure.
The role and responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Maintain and advance the graphic look of the station, while creating, managing, and organizing all graphic needs and related files for multiple projects.
- Interact daily with news management, producers, and directors to successfully create visually compelling designs to enhance storytelling for daily newscasts, broadcasts and special projects.
- Policing and enforcing brand consistency across all projects.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and be a pro at multi-tasking!
- Designing franchise graphics packages including logos, in-studio graphics, and design templates for shows, segments, and multi-media specials.
- Designing outside media such as (but not limited to) billboards, bus ads, web ads, prints ads etc.
- Participating in brainstorming sessions to share new design ideas.
- Lead a team of graphic designers and assign and manage daily tasks such as news graphics, sales ads and special projects to be delivered by deadlines.
- Creation of original templates for broadcast, digital, and video promotions.
- Utilizing graphics templates to fulfill daily newscast and lifestyle programming graphics needs to aid in storytelling of on-air content, often with short deadlines.
- Collaborating closely with sales account executives and clients to produce static and dynamic digital web ads to help achieve desired messaging goals.
- Selecting and creating appropriate audio, graphic, and animation styles for various projects.
Requirements & Skills:
- Bachelors' degree in Art, Design or Broadcasting or equivalent experience
- Experience working at a broadcast television station
- 3+ years of professional experience in graphic design with advanced experience in Adobe Creative Cloud products including After Effects, Premier, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Must have motion and animation experience, Cinema 4D
- Operation of Ross Xpression or Chyron graphics system and integration of ENPS newsroom solutions software is recommended.
- Knowledge of Baron weather graphics system a plus!
- Ability to work on various projects simultaneously and to deliver finished projects on deadline in a fast-paced environment
- Flexibility to occasionally work extra hours and shifts depending upon project delivery and deadline
- Highly effective communications and file organizational skills
- Project & time management skills
- And, of course: REALLY COOL DEMO REEL & DESIGN PORTFOLIO (send asap!)