BAM’s Production department is looking for an Assistant Carpenter who will work with the Head Carpenter in managing carpentry and rigging elements for both presented and produced works.
The selected candidate will be able to collaborate with BAM and Visiting Company Production Staff with advance planning for a show or event by interpreting ground plans, scenic drawings, rigging plots and fly cue run sheets. The selected candidate will exemplify strong leadership and communication skills to successfully operate independently and collaboratively as part of a larger team. Ideally, the selected candidate will be available to begin work as soon as possible due to our current timeline of upcoming performances.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for performing and supervising carpentry and rigging work for all performances in BAM Harvey Theater
- Assist Head Carpenter in working and managing all load-ins, load outs, rehearsals, performances and work calls.
- Responsible for performing and supervising carpentry rigging maintenance in the Harvey as a working member of the crew, including operation and maintenance of Harvey automated fly system and motors
- Collaborate with all stagehands, departments, and production management to work with artists and companies to present cutting-edge, internationally renowned performances and art.
- Work with Head Carpenter to identify crewing needs for productions and events in conjunction with BAM Production Staff, and the Crew Chief.?
- Work with Crew Chief and BAM Production Staff to ensure crew consists of a diverse workforce
- Enforce standards of operation in carpentry and rigging that are safe for both personnel and equipment.
- Represent the Carpentry Department in production meetings.
- Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) work
- Comfortable working with DEI concepts, programs, and initiatives
- Must have the ability to comply with NYC COVID-19 vaccination mandate
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- 7 years' experience working in related theatre/stage work in carpentry and rigging departments
- Experience and knowledge of theatrical and arena rigging.
- Experience interpreting ground plans, scenic drawings and rigging plots.
- Must be flexible and adaptable in relation to the work and scheduling
- Union Affiliation:? If not currently a member, the selected?candidate will be required to join IATSE Local 4.
Working Conditions: Ability to stand for prolonged periods and ability to move throughout the facilities as required daily. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds with the assistance of a team.
Compensation: Salary and Benefits will be provided per the IATSE Local 4 CBA (union) specifications, includes:
- 40 week contracted year at 40 hours/week, with OT and additional weeks frequently required
- Weekly salary of $1,951.60 with possibility of OT
- Fully funded Local 4 Healthcare Plan
- Paid Vacation (4 weeks) in addition to Paid Sick Time per CBA
- Contributions to Local 4 Pension and Annuity
- Perks include comp tickets, neighborhood discounts and more