The Associate Director II position will work with Directors in preparing, supporting and executing high level Studio, Remote and REMI productions.
Live Event / On Location Services
Aug 10, 2023
The Associate Director II position will work with Directors in preparing, supporting and executing high level Studio, Remote and REMI productions. The ADII must have comprehensive knowledge and mastery of the Associate Director role, including strong multi-tasking and communication skills, plus leadership qualities. In addition, will contribute to content ideas based on developing storylines across sports. The Associate Director II needs to possess strong project management skills and be able to contribute to multiple high-profile productions at one time. The ADII will be required to mentor ADIs and Stage Managers, and must provide comprehensive written feedback of their development and performance to Directing Management. The ADII will direct assigned productions to begin the path toward Director.
- Assists the Director during a production by timing elements, keying fonts, and coordinating feeds. Maintains communication with live shots by providing alerts and cues, and ensure the proper framing, audio and video levels meet on-air standards. Assists in communication of traffic changes, graphics requests, music cues, and source changes with media.
- During Ignite/Automated productions – ADs will assist in routing, papping, framing and clearing remote guests; selecting music for studio productions and MOS’ing into the rundown; assist Director with checking codes and rundown changes.
- Assists the Director with pre-production elements including billboards, promotions, teases, graphics, special effects and virtual imagery; coordinates video and fonts within the production.
- Participates in meetings with Production to assist in the development of visual content for the show.
- Working with the Director and Production staff, will request images and monitor graphics to support storylines throughout the show. Will execute studio moves with requested elements during pre-production or discuss with director to be executed live.
- Verifies locations of guests (remote and studio) with Audio and Transmission/VCC by providing paperwork (FrameStores, IFBs, booking windows).
- Assists the Director, Producer and Coordinating Producer with PCR setup, including the comms and monitoring build.
- Contributes to the planning and organizing of special projects. Interacts with other departments for a common goal.
- Works with the assigned lead Directors on special graphics elements and animations for specialty shows.
- On REMI productions, assists the Producer and Director in managing game-related responsibilities and traffic. Communicates directly with multiple positions, including the timeout coordinator or red hat to ensure the game and control room are in sync. Generates cards with promotional, sales and editorial copy for talent to read on air. Runs the preproduction session.
- Directs Ignite and ViBox productions for digital and radio programming, plus pre-recorded segments in conventional control rooms and mobile units for studio and remote productions.
- Coaches and mentors Associate Directors and Stage Managers. Provides feedback to support development, and documents in written form to Management. Written feedback should be thoughtful and comprehensive with clear, detailed examples.
- Practices and maintains the Directing Department performance standards as they apply to leadership, communication, operations, personal development and productions, and consistently performs all of the duties and functions required of the role. Demonstrates strong leadership qualities in all interactions and decisions.
- A thorough understanding of television production is mandatory.
- Clear, concise and comprehensive verbal communication skills are required.
- Strong interpersonal skills are required.
- Ability to think quickly in a pressure situation is a necessity.
- Leadership skills are a must as the position includes facility and crew oversight, organization and show execution, plus problem solving.
- Hard working, detail oriented, creative; passionate about production and interested in technology.
- Minimum of 5 years of Associate Director experience in Directing department or network equivalent; Director equivalent in local television.
- High School Diploma or equivalent