KSDK 5 On Your Side, TEGNA's NBC affiliate in St. Louis, is creating an entry-level position for an associate producer who is curious about the world and eager to assist with multiple roles in the newsroom, from newscast production to research to digital platforms.
Greater St. Louis Area
Feb 08, 2022
The ideal candidate will have an "audience first" approach to writing and can’t wait to learn what it takes to produce a newscast and more. This is a behind-the-scenes role with potential to gain both production and leadership skills that will take you far in the television news industry. Recent graduates are encouraged to apply.
The KSDK newsroom is proudly “one content team”- meaning broadcast and digital share equal stage. You will be working in a learning environment, but the ideal candidate will walk in having studied the basics of journalism. We believe our newsroom culture sets 5 On Your Side apart because of our news managers’ strong commitment to professional growth, training, regular feedback and mentoring. If you're a positive person, open to feedback and seeking a collaborative culture, we want to hear from you!
The position is funded for March – December, 2022.
- Shadow newscast and digital producers with intent to learn what it takes to generate compelling content and products
- Write news stories for broadcast and online
- Screen and edit news video on desktop
- Focus on accuracy and balance in stories and social content through editing and working with reporters
- Respond to breaking news
- Update published content as stories develop
- Participate in editorial meetings and conversations
- Use digital and social analytics to inform editorial decisions
- Social listening: monitor social media for breaking news, find interesting stories, track trends and report findings to newsroom
- Review and respond to news releases, news tips, emails, user generated content and social media messages to identify unique, local and engaging content
- BA/BS in journalism, communications or related field.
- Understanding of the tenets of professional journalism
- Strong writing skills, a must
- Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time pressure deadlines
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekend, night and holiday shifts, a must
- Familiarity with St. Louis and/or a reason to relocate here will make your application stand out. Please mention in your cover letter!