CBS News and Stations is seeking a hard-working, creative, and enthusiastic Associate Producer with a strong passion for journalism for its 24/7 News Services (Newspath) team! This position supports the Newspath DC Bureau team.
The Associate Producer will work with the Newspath DC Bureau Chief, Producers, Correspondents, and Photographers, to gather/shoot news content and operate ENG equipment. They need to be able to capture compelling video and audio at the speed of news for correspondent packages and NewspathNow.com, the platform used to distribute content to stations and affiliates. The AP will contribute to the editorial process with story ideas and have a “can-do” approach to problem solving.
Additional duties include: researching stories, logging feeds, transcribing sound, editing video, writing information about video, and uploading the video onto Newspathnow.com, requesting clearance for freelancers and guests to get into the White House, the Pentagon, local airports and other government agencies and buildings, fielding questions from CBS News shows, assignment desks, local affiliates and domestic and international clients about upcoming feeds, in addition to Paramount shows about collaborating on upcoming events.
This position may require some travel as the Associate Producer will also work with Newspath DC Correspondents and Photographers on stories locally and remotely.
The candidate should have an interest in policy, politics and governmental procedures, strong digital/social media skills, including proficiency with Facebook, Facebook Live, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, Instagram Stories, Tik Tok and YouTube. The ideal candidate is a great teammate with excellent organizational skills, is diligent, and has the ability to both multi-task and keep a calm head under pressure while maintaining a positive outlook. Also, they will need to respond quickly to breaking news.
This position may include occasional weekends, nights and overnight hours for breaking news and planned events.
- 1+ years of experience in broadcast, cable, or digital news as a newscast producer, writer/producer, assignment editor preferred.
- At least one year of experience operating ENG equipment for broadcast, cable or digital news
- Strong editing skills a requirement. Avid preferable.
- Knowledge of broadcast networks and stations/markets a plus.
- Available to work various schedules, including occasional weekends, nights, and overnights
- Knowledge of various social media platforms
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Degree in broadcast journalism, mass media communications, political science, history or related fields preferred.