A Background Painter’s primary responsibility is to use a background layout, 3D render, and department guidelines to expertly paint a color key, or finished background in the show style.
Greater Atlanta Area
Nov 29, 2022
They may also be tasked with organizing files, layers within files, or performing revisions on backgrounds with notes. This position reports to the Background Director and Lead Background Artist
- Possess thorough knowledge of Adobe Suite (particularly Photoshop). Knowledge of Toonboom Harmony a plus
- Possess a proficient understanding on the principles of art: Movement, Harmony, Variety, Rhythm, Unity, Emphasis, Balance, Proportion, Pattern and Reference
- Possess a broad understanding of landscape and layout compositions
- Able to maintain style consistency over a number of files as well as adapt to a broad range of styles from realistic to stylized
- Display proficiency in style of show as well as a strong background in traditional and digital painting (if applicable)
- Possess an excellent understanding of light, shadow, and color along with the ability to create mood and atmosphere in paintings
- Possess an excellent understanding of one and two-point perspective
- Possess strong composition skills
- Able to take direction well and receive notes in a productive manner, asking appropriate questions when necessary to ensure understanding of what a shot needs
- Possess an understanding of the production pipeline and how the Background Department works in tandem with other departments
- Able to meet deadlines consistently and handle occasional chaotic production times comfortably
- Collaborate with respect, humility, inclusion and open-mindedness.
- Work closely with Background Director and Lead Background Artist as well as the layout team to develop consistent, high quality production backgrounds and color keys.
- Review storyboard to ensure continuity of background design style and paint technique
- Execute changes and revisions as requested by Art Director/Background Director
- Organize PSD files and utilize proper naming conventions (as outlined by the Background Director)
- Revisit existing files to apply notes and fixes, per request of directors/producers
- Track progress consistently within company provided production software (F Track)
- Help your fellow animator achieve success by communicating thoughts and ideas to help improve speed and efficiency
- Must reside in GA or be willing to relocate.
- Must be able to provide authorization to work in the US.
- Must be able to provide proof of COVID vaccination and boosters.
Estimated start: Mid January
Hourly range: $24-28