The BuzzFeed Video Fellowship is a six-month program for the next generation of video producers eager to master the tools and techniques of the social web.
Over the course of the program, you will learn BuzzFeed's process/voice/strategy for creating compelling, shareable video content. This includes enhancing your production skills from conception to execution - brainstorming, writing, producing, shooting, editing, post-production, notes - and exploring how and why people view and share videos through BuzzFeed, YouTube, TikTok, Facebook, Twitter and other social sites.
You are a native of the digital and pop culture landscape with intimate knowledge of the latest and greatest in emerging technology/platforms. You are obsessed with cultural meme propagation and devour the things people are sharing, liking, recommending and talking about.
Fellows will work with and learn from members of the BuzzFeed Video team. This is the perfect fellowship for someone interested in pursuing a career in entertainment, new media or creative services, who is fascinated by the web, social networks, human psychology, pop culture, and the changing media landscape.
This is a full-time, paid with health benefits, six-month, cohort-experience based in New York City or Los Angeles.
The deadline to apply for this fellowship is Tuesday, November 23rd. All application materials will need to be submitted when you apply (including the link to your sample video). The intended start date for this Fellowship is in December.
- Develop mastery of established BuzzFeed Video formats, styles, content generation methods, and production processes
- Conceive, write, shoot, edit and produce videos for BuzzFeed YouTube video and/or social video channels
- Work with senior producers to discover and create new recurring video formats to live on BuzzFeed, YouTube, and other video sharing services
- A genuine interest in what makes content shareable and viral
- 1-2 years of proven experience creating compelling, shareable video content
- Proficiency with DSLR cameras, basic sound/lighting equipment, and editing suites
- Adobe Creative Suite and on set experience a plus
- Extremely knowledgeable about social platforms such as YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok
- Ability to work in small teams and independently
- Ability to manage multiple projects throughout various stages of production
- Ability to give and receive constructive criticism – high emotional intelligence
- A competitive drive with a positive, curious and kind disposition (no haters)
- An enthusiasm for pitching new ideas and concepts
- Experience in front of a camera
Please submit the following when applying to be a Video Fellow:
- Your one-page resume
- No formal cover letters, please. Instead, include a few short paragraphs in your application explaining why you'd be a good fit for the video fellowship.
- Choose one of the following:
- Pick 2-3 videos from Goodful, Multiplayer, or Cocoa Butter that performed well on YouTube within the last year, and explain why you think they were successful.
- Pick 2-3 videos from Bring Me, Nifty, Tasty or Pero Like that performed well on Facebook within the last year, and explain why you think they were successful.
- Tell us about your favorite recent viral YouTube, TikTok or Facebook video and how you would iterate on the idea.
- Pitch us 3 videos that you'd love to make—include the title and describe the thumbnail.
- List of camera, audio, lighting, and editing equipment with which you are proficient (if not already noted on your resume).
A sample 1 minute video in a recognizable BuzzFeed video format (YouTube or Social). This can be a stand-alone social video or just the first minute of what would be a longer piece of content. Focus on clarity and engagement. Inform us, entertain us, inspire us. If you're particularly advanced at camera lighting or editing, let us see what you're capable of! Please do not include a link to a reel as your sample video. Also, if you're sharing a private video, be sure to give us access to view it.
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.