CBS News is seeking a staff camera operator/editor in our London newsroom. This is a challenging role which requires the skills, experience and creativity to move from hostile environment frontline camerawork to low-risk news feature filming and the editing skills to craft both fast-turnaround on the day news stories and longer discursive feature pieces.
Live Event / On Location Services
London, United Kingdom
Jun 14, 2023
CBS News is seeking a staff camera operator/editor in our London newsroom. This is a challenging role which requires the skills, experience and creativity to move from hostile environment frontline camerawork to low-risk news feature filming and the editing skills to craft both fast-turnaround on the day news stories and longer discursive feature pieces. Looking for a self-starter with a creative eye and keen attention to detail who works well under tight deadline pressure. You will shoot and edit news packages and liveshots which air on all CBS News shows and platforms, including online and social media and long-form programming.
What will you be doing?
- Maintain supplied edit and filming equipment and advise on new advances in ENG to ensure CBS News stays current with technology.
- Liaise with clients and suppliers of equipment to CBS News.
- Ensure editing skills stay current on Avid and other platforms that may be required.
- Work closely with Producers, Correspondents, Editors, Coordinators, and other personnel to proactively assist and contribute to the broadcasting cycle to cover breaking and feature news stories.
- When on assignment work as an engaged, supportive, and contributing member of the team liaising with producers, high risk staff, drivers, local producers, and translators and be prepared to assist with making timely travel/hotel/transport arrangements to ensure the success of the assignment.
- Maintain a planning diary and understand what is required to cover future news events including accreditation/visas/travel requirements.
- Be always ready to respond to breaking news with equipment always ready to hit the ground running.
- When a news deployment or a feature assignment is scheduled, always engage with the Producers and Correspondents in researching and planning the assignment.
- Film, edit and produce content to the web and social team.
- Work with correspondents and producers to produce live hits into all CBS programming.
- Keep up to date with social media platforms to broaden knowledge, understanding and awareness of current stories and breaking news.
- CBS News and BBC News started a newsgathering agreement in 2017. You may be asked to work alongside the BBC including exchanging editorial information, video and audio, and resources between the two organisations including coordinating live hits from correspondents to the respective organisations.
- You will be expected to assist with compliance on rights, clearance and licensing on CBS owned, third-party and archival material.
What are we looking for?
- Proven experience working in broadcast journalism.
- Self-starter - pro-active and motivated
- Enjoys learning and adapting on the fly.
- Passionate and committed to news.
- Sense of urgency, acting fast when needing to and alerting the necessary people
- Thrives in a busy, dynamic, sometimes pressurised news environment.
- Is calm and decisive but not afraid to ask for help if necessary.
- Interpersonal savvy –excellent communicator to all people in and outside the CBS team.