The Character Modeler works with the Asset Supervisor and/or CG Supervisor to define the appearance for CG assets for a particular project. You will work closely with our art directors, animators, and other artists to create 3D character models that breathe life into our stories.
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oct 27, 2023
The Character Modeler works with the Asset Supervisor and/or CG Supervisor to define the appearance for CG assets for a particular project. You will work closely with our art directors, animators, and other artists to create 3D character models that breathe life into our stories. Your exceptional modeling skills and attention to detail will help us deliver characters that resonate with audiences of all ages.
What you’ll be doing:
- Create 3D character models based on concept art, ensuring that they meet the artistic and technical requirements of the project.
- Develop clean and efficient topology for characters, considering rigging and animation requirements to ensure smooth deformation and performance.
- Work closely with artistic and technical project leads to ensure requirements are met for the aesthetic and technical aspects of the project.
- Demonstrate sound working knowledge of modeling tools (Maya - retopology of sculpts, Zbrush - sculpting, Mudbox as an additional plus) and techniques to create models (characters, props and sets) for our animated project
- Create blend shape setups for characters, props and other elements
- Translate 2D drawings and concepts into 3D models
- Meet project deadlines and milestones, including weekly quotas, as set by project leads and the production department
- Actively participate in team/department meetings
- Mentor and offer support to less experienced artists, providing them with guidance and instruction
What you’ll bring:
- 5+ years of character modeling experience on fully animated or hybrid feature films
- Strong understanding of anatomy, form, and proportion
- Excellent knowledge in Maya, Zbrush and Photoshop
- Experience in Mudbox is a benefit
- Knowledge of various renderers like Renderman is an asset
- Knowledge of character rigging and animation principles is a plus.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
- Ability to take creative direction and feedback.
- Attention to detail and a strong commitment to delivering high-quality work.