The position is a working supervisor and will capture visual content and edit for multiple platforms daily as well as assist with general daily guidance of the Photographer and Editing staff including quality control, performance feedback and scheduling.
Live Event / On Location Services
Dayton, Ohio Area
Oct 27, 2022
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Assist Operations Manager with supervising photojournalists, including but not limited to coaching, conducting performance evaluations, and creating schedules to manage overtime
- Responsible for operating various news gathering equipment, including but not limited to live truck, video camera, and video editing equipment as well as new technology
- Works tandem with reporters and may also conduct interviews solo for broadcast
- Listens to scanners, calls in spot news and responds to spot news when asked
- Communicates frequently throughout the day and works collaboratively with others in the newsroom including reporters, anchors, producers, Content Center staff, Creative Services and other photographers about assigned story and other assignments
- Responds and works well in a crisis and during breaking news. Handles last minute and unexpected changes professionally.
- Comes prepared for editorial and other meetings and contributes story ideas daily.
- Travels regularly often locally however, may travel nationally.
- Works assigned shifts and fills in for absent co-workers if needed on all shifts. Ability to work other hours or alternate schedules including when called to cover breaking news
- Acts in a professional, courteous manner when representing the station and the news department. Looks presentable and neat on the job.
- Perform news operations duties as needed
What We Look For
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
- Minimum 7 years TV news photography and editing experience required, NPPA style experience a plus.
- Must be proficient with current broadcast cameras, non-linear editing, and LIVE equipment including live trucks and live backpacks.
- Ability to work alone and with a reporter.
- Must be reliable and able to work additional hours if needed as well as travel as required.
- Must possess valid driver's license and clean driving record as determined by WHIO-TV
- Good news judgment and thorough understanding of daily news content required as well as thorough understanding of journalistic ethics and libel laws
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Must be able to work in areas and conditions that are often noisy, have many distractions, and in extreme weather (heat and cold) and landscape conditions.
- Must be able listen to and respond verbally to others in English.
- Must have manual dexterity to operate camera and editing equipment.
- Must be able to move quickly inside and outside on uneven, unfamiliar terrain and areas.
- Work under tight deadlines and in pressure situations.
- Must be able to lift, carry and move with up to 50lbs in many environments including outdoors and in extreme weather conditions.
- Must be able to drive news vehicles. Able to stand for long periods of time.