The Costume Specialist is responsible for construction and/or maintenance of show costumes for current and/or new shows, special events, special shows and costume characters.
Also responsible to perform duties including, but not limited to, costume shop opening and/or closing duties, distribution of daily costumes, record keeping of supplies used/needed, daily laundry upkeep, daily costume repair, and viewing shows, as directed, for costume quality assessment. This position will also play a key role in the training of new ambassadors, as needed and directed. Must communicate well with ambassadors, contracted support, supervisors and management while maintaining a positive attitude.
What you get to do:
- Sew both by hand and with a machine
- Complete daily show costume repairs
- Complete costume construction as new show product dictates per Costume Shop Supervisor’s request
- Shop opening and closing duties, including, but not limited to, deployment & pick up of the daily show costuming, daily laundry duties, and daily reports
- Conducting training for new costume shop ambassadors, as directed
- Complete daily costumed character maintenance, disassemble and repair of control mechanisms, fur and feet repair (training provided)
- Work with the cast, crew and stage management to maintain safety and integrity of shows, surrounding work spaces venues and dressing rooms
- Maintain various props, overlays and costumes
- Perform and complete assigned tasks from management as needed
- Fittings and alterations of costumes
- Maintains a professional appearance that meets SEA grooming standards
- Oversee safety as it pertains to SEA best practices and all other relevant industry guidelines
What it takes to succeed:
- Must be at least 18 years of age and possess a valid driver’s license
- Theme park experience preferred but not required
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including weekdays, weekends, evenings and holidays, YEAR-ROUND.
- High School Diploma or equivalent preferred
- Two (2) years of experience as a seamstress, costume technician, wardrobe master/mistress or equivalent related experience preferred
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently
- Must be able to pass practical sewing test at time of contingent offer
- Must be proficient in costume construction using existing patterns, design build, alterations and maintenance of show costumes
- Must be proficient in craftwork, gluing & painting of fabrics & accessories; hand-sewing & machine sewing
- Must have proficient knowledge of and ability to use basic hand tools related to the costume industry (i.e. seam ripper, hand needle, and scissors)
- Must have proficient knowledge of and ability to use advanced tools related to the costume industry (i.e. rotary cutter, serger, bent handled scissors)
- Must have the ability to work as part of a team, communicating and resourcing with internal and external departmental team members
- Must be able to walk and stand for long periods of time in extreme weather
- Must be able to lift, push or pull at least 30 lbs.
- Must be willing to comply with all SEA grooming guidelines and employment standards.
- Must be able to successfully complete all legal, company and department training requirements to include but not limited to passing required tests and certifications within established timelines.
- Must practice safe work habits including, but not limited to the use of personal protective equipment, lifting and reporting of unsafe situations
The perks of the position:
As part of the SeaWorld family, you’ll enjoy a fun, fast-paced environment, and great teammates, as well as:
- FREE park admission
- Discounted park admission tickets and passes for family and friends
- Park discounts on food, merchandise, etc.
- Exclusive employee events and giveaways
- Scholarship opportunities