Newshub is the premiere news brand for Warner Bros. Discovery ANZ. Reporting to the Sports Editor, the Daily Sports Lead will play an instrumental role in delivering accurate, compelling and timely coverage of sports news stories and events across the company’s TV, digital and social assets.
Live Event / On Location Services
Nov 14, 2023
Newshub is the premiere news brand for Warner Bros. Discovery ANZ. It delivers world-class local and international news aimed primarily at a New Zealand audience across linear broadcast and digital platforms.
Reporting to the Sports Editor, the Daily Sports Lead will play an instrumental role in delivering accurate, compelling and timely coverage of sports news stories and events across the company’s TV, digital and social assets. Setting the agenda, guiding news gatherers to the stories and ensuring all platforms produce the highest standard of content is the core function of this exciting new role.
- Lead the delivery of compelling sports news on all platforms, focus on agenda setting content for digital, social and TV.
- To find, develop and produce exclusive sports news stories.
- To provide fast, accurate and timely story information and content to a standard consistent with the Newshub brand.
- To help prepare stories in a variety of broadcast and online formats, as appropriate to the story and the audience using video, audio, graphics, stills and text as required.
- To line up and put to air the 6pm sports bulletin on television.
- Maintain a high standard of knowledge of a broad range of sports events and issues.
- To stay across major sports news stories stemming from events.
- To maintain excellent sports contacts and sources.
- To contribute to the sports news diary with original stories.
- Develop and foster extensive contacts among newsmakers with the aim of finding exclusive stories.
- To be adept at using newsroom systems and tools as required to prepare stories.
- To be adept at using newsroom systems eg Slack to ensure all platforms are updated on story progress.
- To report live from the newsroom and from story locations with credibility and warmth.
- To handle breaking news calmly and professionally.
- Understand delivery content chains in digital (AEM), social and TV (iNews).
- To promote and use social media effectively in a manner consistent with the Newshub brand.
- To be familiar with defamation law, the Privacy Act, and all other relevant legislation.
- To be familiar with the BSA Codes of Practice and the Journalist Code of Ethics. Operate within the requirements of the above rules and regulations at all times, and particularly ensure that stories are written and produced to a high journalistic standard.
- To receive and respond promptly to any complaints. Keep senior editorial staff, including Sports Editor and Director of Newsgathering informed.
- Be prepared to attend any training or skill updating course required by the company, and to complete in-house training as and when required.
- The Employee shall ensure they are familiar with Warner Bros. Discovery NZ's health and safety policies and procedures, and any modifications to those policies and procedures that may be introduced from time to time.
- Carry out your work safely and without endangering or causing harm to yourself, fellow staff members, contractors, customers, visitors, or the general public.
- Other duties as required.
- The Company may, after fair and reasonable consultation, change your duties, from time to time, for commercial reasons but not so as to substantially change the nature of the position.
- A tertiary qualification, preferably in journalism
- At least four years journalism experience
- A strong broadcast-quality voice
- The ability to use news editing technology
- Experience with newsroom systems and processes
- Legal right to permanent, full time work in New Zealand
- A hungry and passionate journalist who will both take direction and encourage and advise less experienced team members.
- A generous team member who appreciates individual and business successes.
- Flexibility to work varied shifts and hours as required.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and perform effectively under pressure.
- Close attention to detail.
- Effective communicator both internally and externally.
- A generator of original ideas, who has a drive to break exclusive stories.
- Understanding of and engagement with digital platforms including social networks.
- Continually seeks opportunities to improve programme content and delivery.
- Maintains excellent collaborative and professional relationships with within the wider company.