We are looking for a Digital Asset Artist who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, collaborative mindset and passion for great filmmaking that define Lucasfilm.
San Francisco Bay Area
Jun 25, 2021
The primary role of the Digital Asset Artist is to create high-quality proxy and production assets of hard surface, architectural and environmental-related objects for use in company projects. This person will work with the Asset Director to understand the technical, performance and aesthetic requirements required to create highly performant and optimized assets suitable for use within the company’s production pipeline. The successful candidate will demonstrate proficiency at transforming 2D and 3D concept art into functional assets with exceptional fidelity true to the original designs.
- Build well-crafted and highly performant proxy assets for use in previz environments with aesthetic fidelity true to the source concept art and designs.
- Model hard surface, environmental and architectural objects including props, vehicles, buildings, foliage, terrain, etc. with optimized topology to support efficient polygonal and subdivision geometry.
- Perform UV mapping of complex objects and paint original textures in the style of the show. Understand and ensure basic texel density requirements are met for textured assets.
- Build complex procedural materials within Maya/Arnold and Substance Designer for use in show assets.
- Work with the Asset Director and Art Director to ensure models are consistent with the show’s style.
- Ensure department and show-based technical specifications and requirements are observed in building show assets.
- Develop, document and disseminate information relating to novel asset creation workflows and techniques for use by our internal and external partner company asset teams.
- Works with the production team to ensure all relevant deadlines are maintained.
- Perform other tasks and duties relating to the creation, use and maintenance of show assets.
- Create rendered turntables of assets for review.
- Aid efforts to ensure parity between proxy assets and the production assets built by our partner studios.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Maya and strong understanding of standard CG asset-building methodologies.
- Demonstrated ability to model and texture map a variety of complex 3D assets.
- Has good working knowledge of alternative 3D digital asset creation tools including ZBrush, Substance Designer, Substance Painter, Mari, Marvelous Designer, etc.
- Demonstrated proficiency at rigging complex, non-character assets to meet show performance and articulation requirements.
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail.
- Able to work under tight deadlines while maintaining a high level of productivity and quality.
- Able to adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
- Asset creation for real time environments experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to break down designs into fundamental building blocks for rapid and efficient construction of large and complex asset preferred
- Working proficiency in Linux environments preferred
- Traditional arts or painting background preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in related Art and Design field including Architecture, Industrial Design, Digital Media, Game Development or equivalent professional
- 2-4 years producing digital assets for animation, visual effects, or video game productions.