WWTI-ABC50 has an exciting opportunity to apply classroom theories and concepts to real work situations as a Digital News Intern.
ABC50 is looking for an up-and-coming journalist eager to get their first break into the industry and contribute to the digital news product for WWTI. This is a part-time position, perfect for current college students looking to develop their skills.
Position responsibilities will vary with assignments but could include writing for digital platforms, shooting and editing video, contributing to digital newscasts and helping to assist in daily newsgathering and development.
The right candidate will be driven to succeed, have strong attention to detail and an eagerness to learn all the aspects of digital journalism. This is a unique position that will include digital reporting in the studio and in the field.
ABC50 provides a robust, meaningful internship experience, where students energize the workforce with fresh ideas and perspective and have the opportunity to be inspired by passionate work that is delivered each day.
The intern will assist the ABC50 digital reporters in carrying out the responsibilities of publishing daily news and producing a weekly livestream.
The candidate should be an energetic, creative and innovative writer who produces sharable content. Candidates should know how to shoot and edit their own work and generate videos and infographics. Strong storytellers are preferred. A solid understanding of social media is a must.
- Reports, shoots and edits news stories and events
- Arranges interviews with people who can provide information about stories
- Reviews copy and corrects errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
- Reviews and evaluates notes taken about event aspects to isolate pertinent facts and details
- Determines a story’s emphasis, length and format, and organizes material accordingly
- Researches and analyzes background information related to news stories to be able to provide complete and accurate information
- Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience or attendance at political, news, sports, artistic, social or other functions
- Pitches stories to the news director which are relevant to the local community
- Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas
- Discusses issues with the news director to establish priorities or positions
- Checks reference materials such as books, news files or public records to obtain relevant facts
- Produces and presents reports for all platforms
- Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
- Writes stories for the web and other eMedia platforms
- Performs special projects and other duties as assigned
Requirements & Skills:
- Progress toward a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
- Fluency in English
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, with the ability to ad lib when required
- Proficiency with cameras, microphones, computers and editing software
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced and deadline driven environment, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Valid driver’s license with a good driving record
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The Digital News Intern must be able to sit, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work near others, work outdoors occasionally in all weather conditions, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. In addition, the Multimedia Journalist must be able to lift, set up and operate equipment weighing up to 25 pounds, and be able to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls. Repetitive movements are required. Work may be conducted in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions.