The Weather Channel is seeking a Senior Level Director to join our Emmy® Award-winning production team.
Our cutting-edge visual presentations and compelling storytelling provide viewers with a deeper understanding of the science behind weather. In this role you will work with a team to develop high-profile live and edited broadcast productions and contribute to special projects for our fast-growing Allen Media Group brands, such as The Weather Channel, Local Now, Pattrn and more. This Director will spearhead storytelling in network-level productions for new on-air, online and streaming projects. We are growing and looking for a leader with an entrepreneurial spirit, production leadership experience and a passion for creating engaging and moving content.
To be successful in this role the director must have the ability to implement the creative vision, while troubleshooting, making critical decisions, and acting as creative and production leader.
This position requires an experienced director that has live directing experience with a large market station, (inter)national broadcaster or (inter)national cable facility, along with demonstrated experience developing and leading teams. The Director will partner with Show Producers, Executive Producers, Talent, production and social media teams on a daily basis to develop and sculpt show ideas, planning execution logistics and pursuing ways to enhance and improve the production value of assigned projects.
The director must have excellent communication skills with the proven ability to “call” a show in a clear, efficient manner that can be followed by all, and have the demonstrated ability to maintain control of the production team and the show during stressful times.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct live and taped productions, as well as pre-production and post-production sessions from a production control room or post suite, delivering high production value with “network-level” on-air results, on assigned projects across Weather Group Television.
- Work with management to lead directing teams, production crew development and team building as needed.
- Work closely with production operations teams to define production needs and assign resources
- Review program rundowns prior to productions with Executive Producers, Producers, Talent, On-Camera Meteorologists and production team, communicating rundown changes, show needs, script changes, camera assignments and locations, crew performance expectations, etc.
- Block camera shots to meet the demands of the production, demonstrating a progressive approach via the blocking to add value to on air presentation.
- Be able to direct all production elements taking full advantage of the capabilities of the video production switcher, along with available graphic production devices, enhanced audio production capability, state-of-the-art live remote capabilities and immersive reality systems.
- Be able to identify, critique and assist in the creation of high production value, “network-level” lighting and sound design.
- Be able to operate the Dalet NRCS (or comparable) newsroom system – accessing and marking rundowns, scripts, and communicating changes to the production team.
- Provide pre and post-production performance feedback and critiques as needed.
- Report outcome of show via Director Show Report after every show.
- Provide performance feedback on Production Technology team members to management.
- Report equipment problems and discrepancies to production management and to the Engineering department via in-house reporting system.
- Will be responsible for other duties as required and/or assigned.
- Work with management to lead directing team and production crew development and team building.
- Be available as the first point of contact during assigned hours, to address production issues that arise.
- Participate in development of ideas and implementation of process improvements for Director / TDs.
- Report, via written shift notes, any personnel or equipment issues to the appropriate Manager and next shift team lead.
Education, Experience, Certification Requirements
- 10+ years Broadcast or Cable TV Production Experience preferred, including creating and standing up new programs.
- 5+ years of team leadership experience required.
- Degree in Communications or Broadcasting related field preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must have excellent working knowledge of the television production/broadcast environment.
- Strong technical knowledge of all traditional control room, studio and field production systems with the ability to understand, troubleshoot and resolve most operations issues to minimize production impact..
- Experience leading, developing and managing a production team.
- Excellent multi-tasking, time management, organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work well with other people in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to make smart decisions and adapt to changes, especially under fast paced, stressful conditions.
- Strong computer skills, including working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite apps, and ability to learn and utilize Google business apps.
- Demonstrated can-do attitude to accomplish tasks.
- As this position supports a 24x7 news/weather environment, candidates must have flexibility to work days, nights, overnights and weekends as needed and without advance notice.
- Experience with Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality and/or Immersive Mixed Reality preferred.
- Will be required to sit in a chair from 2 – 5 hours at a time.
- Will be required to wear a headset and listen to multiple audio sources during on-air show production.
- Will be required to type on a keyboard for a period of 2 – 3 hours during pre-production and for 2 - 4 hours during program production.
- Will be required to look at computer monitors and video monitors for a period of 2 – 3 hours during pre-productions and for 2 - 5 hours during program production. Some monitors could be as close as 2 ft and as far as 12 ft away.
- Demonstrated visual acuity and ability to differentiate colors.