WKBN-TV in Youngstown, Ohio is looking for a temporary full-time Director to direct weekend and weekday live and taped programs using studio automation.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to direct live and taped productions using the studio automation system through accurate calling and coordination of video, audio and graphics elements.
- Oversee studio productions for quality control.
- Work with producers to execute details of effective programs.
- Follow graphic format stylebook in production of programs.
- Direct and coordinate efforts of assigned studio personnel.
- Direct and edit other shows, production shoots and special reports as assigned
- Take a leadership role in the training and coaching of other members of the WKBN-TV team as needed.
- Respond to breaking news and other urgent newsroom situations as required.
- Participate in special projects and perform other duties as assigned.
- Creativity in the production of programming for delivery across all platforms.
Ideal Skills & Abilities
- The ability to direct fast-pace rapidly changing productions for extended periods.
- Working knowledge of state-of-the-art video switchers and effects.
- Familiar with routers, video servers, audio consoles, robotic studio cameras, graphics systems and production equipment.
- Strong computer skills.
- Effective communication and people skills.
- Ability to work quickly under pressure in an on-air environment.
- Flexible hours, including mornings, nights, weekends and holidays.
JOB SUMMARY: Before and during the broadcast of a live television program like a news show, the broadcasting director communicates via headset to the anchors as well as to the camera operators and technicians to give instructions and is responsible for the overall look and sound of a show as it happens.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the show's Producer in order to understand the desired look and feel for the program.
- Employ the help of the vision switcher, who works specialized equipment to shift camera views and graphics throughout the program.
- Supervise the placement of video cameras, lighting equipment, microphones, and props.
- Maintain order among the staff in the control room, and on the set.
- Facilitate a team environment; provide leadership and inspiration to co-workers and act as a positive catalyst for the overall group.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Quick-thinking problem-solver.
- Extremely organized and able to multi-task.
- Must be able to interact well with producers, video journalists, anchors, videographers, news managers, production and engineering staff.
- Dedication to teamwork.
Education/Experience: Bachelor's degree in journalism, film production or communications or equivalent experience may substitute + (2) two years experience in television director broadcasting/production.
Training/Equipment: Utilize state-of-the-art television technology; MS Outlook, E-mail.
Work Environment/Physical Requirements: Fast-paced, hectic and high stress environment.
NOTE: This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned.