The Production Supervisor is responsible for the tactical aspects of a department(s) ensuring that schedule goals are met while managing artists to their full potential.
They manage the department schedule and day-to-day needs of the department in partnership with Department Head.
“What would you say you do here?”
Schedule and Workflow
- Manages the department schedule, tracks the labor weeks and coordinates the day-to-day workflow. Approves and manages overtime in their departments.
- Develops and manages internal department schedules and staffing requirements. Creates list of critical assumptions and highlights any vulnerabilities. Ensures accuracy of production tracking report and provides notes to support the numbers and strategy.
- Works with APM, PM and/or AP to meet overall production scheduling and budget requirements and helps to ensure the department budget and scheduling are updated as changes are made to the film’s production flow and/or staffing profile. Understands how changes may affect their department’s budget, scheduling and overtime.
- Collaborates with Department Head of assigned department(s) to cast assignments, issue deadlines and manage department workflow process. Partner to ensure the complexity of work is consistent with department budget and schedule.
- Manages department to 8 week goals. Looks ahead to ensure that department's weekly quotas, achievements & inventory expectations are met. Strategizes with Department Head, upper management and possibly Production Supervisors from other departments to resolve any efficiency and/or inventory issues and how to resolve any overages. Advises APM and/or PM of any potential problems or issues, particularly those impacting budget, offering solutions when possible.
- Builds and maintains reports that clearly illustrate department and individual artist productivity.
- Primary production person within department. Supervises and coaches Production Coordinators and Production Assistants for that department.
- Partners with Department Head to give timely and appropriate performance feedback Drives review process and delivers reviews on an annual basis. Sets expectations with their team and provides regular and consistent feedback against expectations.
- Manage dailies efficiency ensuring Production Staff is well trained and prepared. Ensure there is clear framing of the progress of the shot/asset against quota goals and previous notes.
- Partners with Department Head to manage conflict within the department and partners with Human Resources regarding disciplinary procedures.
- May work with the Training Department to set up training for crew.
- May be involved in the interviewing and hiring process..
- Supports and represents directives from the studio and/or production leadership.
- May be asked to assist Studio Executives and Production Management with handling transitions.
- Works with the Department Head on the creation of the Post-Mortem and wrap book materials for the department.
- Responsible for day to day tone of the department in support of the societal/cultural strategy
- Represents Department in weekly production meetings. Reports department progress and discusses solutions to any issues impeding the department.
- Partners with the Department Head to manage, motivate and promote an environment conducive to achieving quotas and artistic achievements.
- Performs regular check-ins with the crew (i.e. walk-arounds).
- Attends Director approval meetings and helps to drive the agenda
“What do I need to have in order to do this job?”
- Preferred 5+ years of experience as a Production Coordinator.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively foster relationships.
- Ability to build and manage department specific production schedules.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask in a fast-paced production environment.
- Software requirements: Microsoft Word and Excel, Gmail and knowledge of production tracking databases such as Shotgun is preferred. Additional Job Requirements
- Must be willing to work in Glendale, CA
- Must be willing to adhere to all Company COVID-19 workplace safety policies and protocols.
- In select work settings or where jurisdictionally mandated, must submit an attestation disclosing your COVID-19 vaccination status and be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or adhere to enhanced protocols.
Hybrid: This position has been designated as hybrid, generally contributing from the office a minimum of three days per week.
Salary range: $70,000-$95,000 (bonus eligible)