Simon & Schuster is seeking an Editor to acquire and edit fiction for a new Latinx imprint, targeting English and Spanish language readers. The role will be fully involved in the publishing process through production and the editor will work to make the title succeed after publication.
Simon & Schuster is seeking an Editor to acquire and edit fiction for a new Latinx imprint, targeting English and Spanish language readers. This role will focus on commercial, upmarket, and literary fiction, across genres that could include romance, romantasy, historical, book club, mystery, horror, fantasy, and suspense, and with the opportunity to also consider select nonfiction. The ideal candidate will be a meticulous editor fluent in English and Spanish, a terrific communicator with a sharp eye and strong relationships with agents; someone with a deep-rooted familiarity with Latinx communities in the United States and who can identify and attract Latinx authors writing in bestselling categories. The role will be fully involved in the publishing process through production and the editor will work to make the title succeed after publication. This is an excellent opportunity to establish and nurture relationships with authors, booksellers, reviewers, and others in the writing and publishing community.
Specific responsibilities include:
1. Soliciting, acquiring, and editing Latinx books for publication.
2. Working with the publicity and marketing teams to package and position books.
3. Acting as the in-house liaison between editorial and the production, design, art, and managing editorial departments, as well as the sales, marketing, and publicity teams.
4. Helping other Editors assess projects as needed.
5. Communicating with authors and agents in all phases of the publishing process, from acquisition to publication date.
6. Effectively representing their own list as well as the Atria Books imprint to media, booksellers, foreign publishers, literary organizations, and other out-of-house contacts beyond authors and agents.
Please apply if you meet the following requirements:
- Fluency in both written and spoken English and Spanish
- Minimum of 5 years of publishing experience in editorial acquisitions for a general trade publisher
- Strong editing capabilities
- A deep knowledge of market trends and familiarity with Latinx communities
- Established contacts in the agent community
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the proven ability to negotiate with authors and agents
- Proven ability to set priorities under pressure and multi-task effectively
- Excellent attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Teams, etc.
The annual salary for this position is $65,000.00 - $75,000.00