Warner Bros. Discovery seeks an Electronic Graphics Operator (SWAT) for CNN's Technical Operations department. (SWAT stands for “Staff with Advanced Talent/Training”).
Live Event / On Location Services
Greater Atlanta Area
Apr 25, 2023
The SWAT Electronic Graphics Operator is responsible for covering and supporting all CNN & CNN International shows. This position requires advanced knowledge of the VizRT graphic system including proficiency in preparing, organizing, and recalling text and graphics for live and taped shows and segments. Duties also include maintaining records, graphic styles and computer downloads needed for daily functionality. Operators are expected to be a subject matter expert (SME) in the EGO equipment/software and daily show workflows.
This role will also support the EGO management team through involvement in projects and/or initiatives. In the absence of the department supervisor, the operator may be responsible for performing various duties such as schedule modifications and taking sick calls.
The EGO SWAT operator acts as a mentor and trainer to all EGO operators to help further develop their technical and leadership skills.
Your Role Accountabilities…
- Responsible for covering all EGO schedules when needed due to vacation and sick time
- Coordinate multiple show downloads to recall editorial generated text, such as names, locations, courtesy information and graphics including animations and full screens
- Maintain air quality through proof reading text before air to ensure accuracy and coordinating error corrections with editorial staff. (EGOs occasionally makes manual updates to fonts, sharp typing skills are a must.)
- Support department supervisor through involvement in projects and/or initiatives
- Develop, test and document workflows and standard operating procedures
- Daily follow-up of operator discrepancy reports - seeing them through to completion
- Assists supervisor in evaluating and implementing new workflows and procedures
- Responsible for training and mentoring new EGO operators and providing additional training of current EGO operators
- In the absence of department supervisor, responsible for performing various duties including taking sick calls and making needed schedule modifications
- Show prep expectations: Ensure show readiness by checking font code accuracy and graphics, reading the show iNews rundown, meeting with the director and show team pre-show
- Effectively and efficiently manage and read all email communication and respond when needed
- Facilitating show file maintenance and lab testing of all new graphic elements
Qualifications & Experience…
- 3 - 5 years of experience in a live news control room environment on any graphics system
- In-depth knowledge of advanced functions of VizRT
- Demonstrated leadership skills, strong communication and problem-solving skills
- Strong spelling ability and fluent in Windows based applications
- Demonstrates a high-level of EGO performance across multiple platforms at CNN & CNN International
- Strong editorial news awareness
- Past participant in a project team or as a team leader
- Strong multi-tasking skills are needed to prioritize and service multiple requests simultaneously
- Willingness to learn and embrace new technologies
- Must be able to work in a 24/7 news environment with flexible hours
- Bachelor's Degree or proven job experience, in lieu of a degree