Freelance Editorial Producers, reporting to the Director of Editorial Content and Platforms, will help ensure that SNY provides users with the most timely and engaging New York sports content possible.
Greater New York City Area
Jun 21, 2023
Freelance Editorial Producers help write, edit, manage and coordinate content across SNY platforms, delivering relevant stories while using data to help drive decisions. Freelance Editorial Producers, reporting to the Director of Editorial Content and Platforms, will help ensure that SNY provides users with the most timely and engaging New York sports content possible. This role will primarily cover shifts on nights and weekends, though some earlier weekday shifts at times become available.
- Proactively propose original, timely and innovative stories covering New York sports.
- Write, edit and post stories on deadline to our digital properties utilizing a content management system and other digital tools.
- Help post and manage the placement of content on the SNY home page that reflects the most relevant and timely news in New York sports.
- Write on various events (games, practices, etc.) and provide articles in timely manner covering the key news/storylines of the day.
- Promote content with journalistically accurate, creative, engaging and SEO-friendly headlines.
- Assist the Director of Editorial Content and Platforms with updating editorial calendar, working with insiders, video and social team to develop story ideas and make sure our work is being tracked.
- Proactively search for latest and relevant content around the web, social media and other platforms that can be spun into stories relevant to our fans (“content mining”).
- Help manage homepage alerts.
- Must be a passionate and accurate writer/editor with a deep knowledge of New York sports and its professional and collegiate teams, who knows how to aggregate, find and publish engaging sports content.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience editing & writing digital sports content
- Willingness to work long hours and on weekends with short notice – shifts range anywhere from as early as 8 a.m. and as late as 2 a.m. A Freelance Editorial Producer may work anywhere from about 8 to 30 hours per week, depending on availability.
- Willingness to work on holidays is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required; degree in Journalism, English, Marketing/Advertising, Communication or relevant area is preferred.
- High level social/mobile media understanding. Candidate should have high proficiency using Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, smartphones and tablet devices. Checking blogs, monitoring major sports sites, and following sports media personalities on Twitter are all examples of activities an ideal candidate would perform on a daily basis.
- Possess strong writing and communication skills. Editing skills/experience is a must; formal editing background is not required but a keen eye for punctuation and grammar is important.
- Candidate should be familiar with basic photo editing.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a time-sensitive environment, with previous experience in a breaking news environment a plus. Organized, detail-oriented individual with strong work ethic, strong communication and problem solving skills.
- Mastery of all of these platforms will eventually be required. However, training will be provided where necessary.
- AP Style writing
- Familiarity with HTML/CSS
In accordance with applicable NYC law, the estimated hourly rate for this role is $25/hr commensurate with experience.