This is an entry level position. The duties are primarily clerical and technical. Production Assistants collate scripts printed for the newscasts, and deliver them to the studio and control room.
They operate teleprompter during the newscasts, and locate and retrieve file video and archive information. They also assist producers, writers, reporters, assignment editors, and newsroom managers in other duties related to newsroom operations. These duties include answering phones, logging tapes, sorting mail, maintaining the tape library, and other duties as necessary.
- Strong writing and communication skills required.
- Must be able to type well, spell perfectly, learn quickly, work well with a variety of people, and meet the tough standards of the high pressure environment of news broadcasting production.
- B.A. degree with some background in Journalism preferred.
- Knowledge of television production, previous internships with news organizations, and familiarity with the Bay Area helpful.
- Clear understanding and strong interest in government, politics, economics, environment, criminal justice, and other issues of public interest.
Must be able to sit at desk for long periods of time, run scripts upstairs under deadlines, operate a telephone and a keyboard.