Chicago Shakespeare Theater: The Hair and Make-up Attendant is a member of the CST run crew and will be responsible for run of show aspects of hair, wigs, and make-up during technical rehearsals and performances of CSTs production of Alls Well That Ends Well this spring.
Hair / Makeup
Greater Chicago Area
Feb 25, 2022
The Attendant will coordinate with the wardrobe team to provide a safe, clean, and efficient work environment for all performers and crew both backstage and onstage.
- Performing all run of show responsibilities that relate to hair, wigs, and make-up.
- Executing all pre-show and post-show duties as assigned by the Head of Hair and Make-Up
- Assisting actors with wig application, hair styling, and make-up application
- Assisting with quick-changes during performances
- Performing maintenance of wigs and make-up
- Maintaining high safety standards and ensuring safe working practices in all components of job performance
- Ensure that fittings and all workspaces and run-of-show activities are inclusive and respectful for performers, designers, and staff. Maintain discretion and diplomacy in all activities to ensure that performers feel supported and safe.
- Demonstrate an understanding of body diversity and show a commitment to body positivity.
- Chicago Shakespeare Theater is committed to creating a diverse and accessible work environment through our Inclusivity, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility (IDEA) initiatives. Along with fellow team members, this position is responsible for upholding the Production Departments IDEA Objectives. For more information on these objectives, please visit https://www.chicagoshakes.com/about_us/idea.
- Assist wardrobe staff with preshow, post-show, or run of show responsibilities as necessary and available.
- Coordinate mic placement and safe mic usage with the Sound Department.
INTERACTION WITH PATRONS AND PUBLIC
- This position has responsibilities that are near the public or they do work that can be observed by the public.
- Direct interaction with the public is not likely but is possible.
- Perform a variety of physical tasks including but not limited to reaching, lifting, bending, and walking swiftly.
- Standing for extended durations.
- Use of manual dexterity in the operation of standard wig, hair, and make-up tools and accessories.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND ENVIRONMENT
- Work hours will be variable depending on the phase of the project but will be primarily in the evenings.
- The Hair and Make-up Attendant is expected to attend all rehearsals and performances. Any schedule adjustments that will require the Attendant to miss a rehearsal or performance must be pre-approved by the Head of Hair and Make-up.
- Evening and weekend hours will be necessary.
- This position works in close proximity with actors, and other crew members.
- This is a time-sensitive work environment with fast paced workflow a regular component of the position.
- This position will be required to wear PPE during some or all of their normal work functions. Masks are currently required by all non-performing employees of Chicago Shakespeare Theater.
- This position, along with all employees of Chicago Shakespeare Theater, will need to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to their first day of employment.
- All work will take place at the CST facilities on Navy Pier in Chicago, IL.
- Rehearsals and performances will take place at the CST facilities on Navy Pier in Chicago, IL.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Strong communication skills specifically when working with Designer, performers, other Run of Show staff, and an array of production personnel.
- Knowledge of a variety of hair and make-up related products and techniques, their different characteristics and treatments, and their safe use and application.
- Proficient wig maintenance skills.
- Makeup application skills
- Proper cleaning and maintenance techniques of wigs, tools, and work areas.
- Extremely high attention to detail in the maintenance and dressing of hair, wigs, and makeup
- Ability and commitment to working with diverse groups in terms of gender expression, race, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class, and immigrant status.