The University of Texas at Austin: KUT is looking for an experienced journalist to produce, edit and report stories for Morning Edition (ME) in Austin. This person will also serve as the primary backup host for the show.
Audio / Music / Sound
Austin, Texas Area
Jan 12, 2023
They will work in a 3 person team that includes the ME host and our morning reporter. This job is perfect for someone who wants to start a transition into editing or would like to be a show host. This job does start early in the morning.
- Edits newscast content created in the morning. Stacks newscasts and makes sure stories are ready for ME host. Generates ideas, writes, reports and mixes radio newscast and online stories. Works with Senior Editor within the Daily News Desk to guide coverage first thing in the morning. Ensures all content produced meets KUT standards of accuracy, fairness and balance. Actively incorporates diverse perspectives and voices. Identify holes in our coverage and suggest ways to mitigate them.
- Produces daily KUT News Now podcasts. Assist with production of KUTX morning newscast as needed.
- Reports news for national programming and the Texas Newsroom as assigned.
- Is the primary backup host for Morning Edition. Prepares weather, traffic, promotional and continuity material. Inserts local content into national program feed.
- Attends story meetings with story suggestions. Provides assistance to other reporters with story research, editorial duties and background materials.
- Other related functions as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Three years of professional experience within a news organization.
- Some experience editing.
- Experience meeting strict deadlines and reporting under strict time limits.
- Experience covering daily & spot news, in-depth features.
- Knowledge of the operations of public radio local and national news.
- Must be able to multitask.
- Relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
- Bachelor's degree in Radio/Television/Film, Communications, Journalism or related field .
- At least 5 years of full-time broadcast reporting and/or production experience in radio or news programming.
- Previous hosting experience.
- Previous radio editing experience.
- Superior production skills including demonstrated ability to use Adobe Audition and mix audio stories for broadcast.
- Spanish speaking skills.
$55,000 - $65,000 + depending on qualifications
Standard office environment.
The work shift for this position is 5am to 1pm. Work hours may also include occasional weekends and some holidays during peak periods to meet deadlines.
- 3 work references with their contact information; at least one reference should be from a supervisor
- Letter of interest
- Examples of radio and digital work