KSTP-TV has an immediate opening for a morning newscast producer to lead a part of our fast-growing 5 Eyewitness News Morning. We have a great team that would welcome an experienced producer who wants to grow their career in a great market.
Greater Minneapolis-St. Paul Area
Jan 18, 2022
Our just renovated newsroom is a solid place to work. We are seeking a person with excellent news judgment, solid writing skills and somebody who knows their way around a control room during a fast-paced morning newscast. If this sounds like you, we’d like to connect and tell you why this could be the best career move you could make.
- With the Executive Producer, constructs and plans a daily newscast by organizing, writing, selecting, and making creative decisions for assigned live newscast, using criteria established by management. Makes decisions about stories to be included, how long they should be, the form of the story (i.e. voice over, live remote, reporter package, etc.), and in what order they should run. Writes and rewrites stories as needed.
- Plans for contingencies.
- Makes sure all aspects of the newscast are complete before the newscast airs.
- Plans ahead and meets deadlines so newscasts can run smoothly for all involved. Important aspects include completed scripts, graphic information, video lists, all necessary script times, and key information.
- Enters information for story choices and storied into the newsroom computer system.
- Notifies proper people of any changes or special situations that may come up in a timely manner (i.e. breaking news, live shots).
- Writes and posts stories to website and other media platforms.
- Posts to social media.
- Frequently updates online stories.
- Shoots and edits videotape for broadcast as needed.
- Communicates frequently throughout the shift and works collaboratively with others in the newsroom including reporters, anchors, photographers, assignment desk staff, creative services and other producers about the newscast and any changes being made.
- Relays story and newscast instructions and information throughout the day via telephones, e-mails, faxes or other ways available.
- Motivates staff before and during newscast.
- Responds and work well in a crisis and during breaking news.
- Handles last minute and unexpected changes.
- Communicates quickly and clearly to necessary staff and talent.
- Writes clear, accurate and interesting stories.
- Ensures that any visuals shown are relevant, appropriate and impact.
- Breaks down complicated and involved stories so that they are easy to understand.
- Makes decisions about the timing of a live newscast as it is being broadcast.
- The Producer watches the live newscast from a designated control room.
- Communicates changes to director, technical director, audio operator, graphics person, studio operators (inc. camera operators, floor director, teleprompter operator), videotape operator, master control operator, and anchors.
- Decisions about the live newscast are immediate and communications must be relayed clearly and timely.
- Completes post-show paperwork and tasks including the technical trouble report and archiving.
- Attends editorial and strategic meetings.
- Comes prepared to meetings and interacts professionally with others.
- Contributes story ideas on a daily basis.
- Is knowledgeable of local, national and world events.
- Has a handle on what is going on in the community.
- Consults with news director, executive producer and/or assistant news director on difficult editorial issues.
- May travel but only on a very limited basis and in special circumstances.
- Works established schedule. Fills in for others and other positions if needed.
- Experience producing a local television newscast.
- Ability to read, write and speak English well.
- Must be able to add and subtract time.
- Able to work with others as part of a team.
- Excellent organization and writing skills including grammar and spelling.
- Understands when to take charge of situations when it is warranted.
- Four-year Bachelor of Arts degree in journalism or communications.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines.