WB Games Montréal, a division of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (WBIE) is looking for a Motion Capture Technical Manager for their next AAA game productions.
Sep 07, 2022
In this position, you will be responsible for the management of the motion capture studio set up and all the motion capture data, audio and video assets produced on our stage.
Day to day, you will work closely across disciplines to capture the combat and acting performances that are used by our animation teams supporting the narrative needs, the in-game cinematics, and the character animations. To succeed in this role, you should be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, supporting shoot planning with production and the directors, while ensuring that our stage is adequately prepared, and operates smoothly and efficiently.
Using your passion and deep knowledge about the motion capture pipeline and technologies, you will be flexible, adapt to frequent changes and ensure fluid communication to provide visibility over projects accordingly with all levels of talent (directors, supervisors, and peers.)
On team level, it will be your responsibility to oversee your team’s efforts (mocap team direct manager) as they refine and solve the data as well as quality assurance before delivery to our animators. Balancing your in-house resources and the need for outsourcing will also be under your purview.
- Must be able to execute technically difficult work and maintain a productive attitude under the pressure of virtual production.
- Lead the motion capture production team’s efforts and inspire them to use best industry’s best practices
- Manage the motion capture facilities and equipment by coordinating with Production and Studio to meet requirements. (MoCap gear, cameras set up, mocap suits, markers, tracking objects and safety equipment.)
- Collaborate with the Animation and Cinematic Director towards improving the efficiency of the post-production pipeline.
- Manage data, production deadline and be present during the MoCap shooting sessions.
- Oversee the processing, solving, clean-up, retargeting, and any troubleshooting issues with the captured data to ensure quality before delivering to the animation department.
- Assist mocap team on stage with adjustment of mocap camera and reference camera placement to ensure proper coverage.
- At least 7 years of experience in motion capture. Experience in video game development is strongly desired.
- At least 3 years of team management experience.
- Highly proficient in using Vicon Blade with an emphasis on post-production pipelines.
- Strong understanding of Optitrack Motive, Autodesk Motion Builder and Maya.
- Must have great communication skills, able to adapt, receive and give insightful feedback.
- Proactive with demonstrated interest in researching and sharing findings with the team about new technologies and better understanding of the latest advancements.
- Must demonstrate leadership and strong abilities to remain calm and inspire the team to be focused, efficient and positive.
- Python scripting skills and/or character animation experience, is considered a plus, but not required.