Madison Square Garden Entertainment: The Motion Design Supervisor directs a team of motion graphics designers, 2D animators, and 3D motion design artists to develop technology and content for the MSG Sphere Studio.
Greater Los Angeles Area
Feb 24, 2022
This role will be responsible for the creative development and execution of motion graphics from boards and concepts provided by creative partners inside and outside MSG. This is a hands-on role requiring task delegation, direct oversight of technical approach, detailed feedback, and assistance in order to assure the highest quality work from every member of the Motion Design team. This position requires a leader who can help recruit and supervise a cutting-edge Motion Design team while also interfacing with other departments, teams and supervisors at MSG to develop and refine the internal workflows, processes and standards of the Studio. Also required would be supervision of some outside vendors to guide their process and integrate their efforts with those happening in parallel in LA.
What will you do?
- Ideal candidates have an appetite for creative execution and are forward thinking and technologically inclined
- Lead and mentor a team of motion designers creating content for Sphere at very high resolution and quality.
- Establish technical approach, provide templates, and directly oversee all motion design work to assure that it adheres to the established processes and meets required quality.
- Work closely with the Director of Digital Production, other Departmental Supervisors and Production Management to bid and schedule motion design work.
- Assist in creating requirements, product descriptions, and documentation for pipeline tools, workflows, protocols and specifications for working, monitoring, reviewing, and delivering content that meets Sphere’s color and resolution requirements.
- Supervise work contracted out to 3rd party vendors to maintain Sphere’s specifications and requirements.
- Actively participate in recruiting world-class freelance and staff motion designers.
- Provide mentoring, individual training, performance reviews, and professional guidance to all members of the motion design team.
What do you need to succeed?
- Proven artist management and leadership skills, with a minimum of 5 years experience supervising teams and leading projects
- Proficiency equivalent to 10+ years of experience working as mograph artist / 2D animator
- Previous work experience in VR or spherical projects desired
- Adobe CC and C4D expertise required, with adaptability across other potential software such as Houdini, Z-Brush, Blender, Resolve/Fusion, and other 2D or 3D digital content creation tools
- Deep experience working as a motion designer or animator within high-end VFX pipelines for commercials, Film, or TV a plus
- Positive attitude and proven track record in creative problem solving with expressed interest in new technology and processes.
- Software agnosticism a plus; adaptability to new pipelines and utilization of provided tools is critical
- The MoGraph Design Sup will report to the Director, Digital Production and will require a level of self-directed and solutions-oriented initiative with good sound decision making skills.
- MoGraph Sup will supervise initially 3+ Digital Artists with potential to grow department size.
- Ability to manage freelance staffing with upwards of 20 artists simultaneously.
- Ability to coach, motivate, delegate, set goals, provide direction, and possess proficient communication skills.
- This role requires a self-directed “production-minded” work ethic helping to maintain the high level of quality associated with the MSG Sphere.