Maryland Public Television: Videographer/Lighting Technicians are responsible for programming lighting boards, execution and operation of lighting boards/controls in the studio and on location, and as videographers are the primary sources for capturing the video images and sound that producers use to create their programs.
Grip / Lighting / Electric
Baltimore, Maryland Area
Feb 01, 2022
This is a Special Appointment position, and serves at the pleasure of the Appointing Authority.
- Operates portable camera equipment with the objective of recording video and audio for use in production. The equipment includes video a camera and accessories, microphones and audio mixer, lights and lighting-related accessories, production equipment, and transport vehicle;
- Works in the studio, or on location, to program and operate lighting board for productions/events;
- Assist in the bidding process that involves studio/location lighting for productions/events for MPT or outside clients;
- Assist the lighting director with the selection of gels, gobos, scrims, patterns, to enhance set elements;
- Program and operate lighting board for productions/events in the studio, or on location;
- Maintain the working operation of lights, lighting boards, and accessories and make recommendations for repair/maintenance;
- Assist in the bidding process that involves studio/location lighting for productions/events for MPT or outside clients.
Studio/Location Production Crew
- Perform set and lights according to what is communicated by studio supervisor or lighting director;
- Assign dimmers and channel lights in the studio via the lighting board;
- Instruct talent and relay information from the director during productions;
- Operate studio camera using acceptable industry techniques operate teleprompter with speed and accuracy.
- Drive the Maryland Public Television's state vehicles in a responsible manner.
- Maintain log sheet for regular maintenance.
Education: Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate.
Experience: Two (2) years of experience shooting broadcast news and or feature packages with the ability to work in a wide range of situations and locations using accompanying equipment such as lenses, mixers, tripods, lighting fixtures, and various microphones.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
Resumes will NOT be accepted in lieu of completing the online or paper application.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Strong preference will be given to applicants that possess the following. Include clear and specific information on your application regarding the qualification(s).
Current documented and relevant experience within the last five (5) years of the following:
- Experience shooting broadcast news and or feature packages with the ability to frame scenes and follow the action on location;
- Experience directing talent with technical and aesthetic experience with PDW 700/850 series XDCAM or similar cameras, and with FS7 or similar compact larger-sensor cameras;
- Experience with the essentials of editing and editing equipment;
- Experience judging the technical and aesthetic qualities of field tapes and making sound judgments in selecting shots;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision while maintaining high standards of video production;
- Ability to use and maintain a variety of video and audio equipment;
- Experience in aesthetically framing shots and performing various camera techniques;
- Experience with location lighting equipment and techniques with daylight and artificial sources;
- Ability to analyze information and evaluate results to choose the best solution and solve problems;
- Experience in directing on-camera talent;
- Experience performing sets and lights;
- Experience assigning dimmers and channel lights in the studio via the lighting board.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland.
- Applicants are to provide a link to the demo reel by sending an email to email@example.com or provide a copy of your demo reel if you are selected for an interview.
- This position may require a flexible work schedule including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- This position may require working outside in unfavorable or harsh weather conditions that might include exposure to the sun, wind, water, etc.
- This position may include long periods of walking, standing, climbing, and maneuvering in and around tight spaces.
- The selected candidate will be required to lift equipment in excess of 50 pounds.
- The selected candidate may be required to climb ladders and use motorized lifts in order to operate and install in-studio lights.