ABC News is seeking a News Editor to join our growing Digital team.
The person in this role will be leading ABC News Digital’s editorial team during the overnight hours. The News Editor will be responsible for assigning, writing and responding to news that develops during the shift. The News Editor is responsible for overseeing the work of the overnight reporting team.
Although a key part of the role is managing text stories, the person in this role is also responsible for helping build compelling multimedia stories and liaising with the wider newsgathering operation and audience development teams.
The successful candidate will also be responsible for helping the dayside team set the day’s agenda by providing a detailed handover note, including story pitches and ideas about how to take breaking news stories forward.
The ideal candidate is someone who has experience handling or leading breaking news coverage, is a self-starter and performs well under pressure.
The role is based in New York City (currently teleworking), and the hours are generally from 11 p.m. ET to 9 a.m. ET, four days a week, rotating between the overnight shift and a dayside shift every 10 to 12 weeks.
- Identify, write and edit stories of interest to our audience, including breaking news
- Collaborate with reporters, producers, editors and correspondents
- Coordinate news coverage across different teams
- Make editorial judgments on a minute-to-minute basis
- Minimum 3 years’ experience editing text articles, preferably for a digital news outlet
- Ability to write on deadline with speed and accuracy
- Proven experience handling breaking news
- Willingness and desire to collaborate across different teams
- Ability to balance priorities, multiple projects and tasks
- Brings energy and positivity to the group dynamic
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
Master’s degree in journalism from an accredited college or university or equivalent experience.