Valley Public Radio seeks an on-air host to serve as the station’s primary weekday afternoon announcer and board operator, broadcasting timely news and information to listeners throughout the San Joaquin Valley and Sierra Foothills.
Valley Public Radio seeks an on-air host to serve as the station’s primary weekday afternoon announcer and board operator, broadcasting timely news and information to listeners throughout the San Joaquin Valley and Sierra Foothills. The shift includes live hosting and newscast anchoring during NPR’s All Things Considered, and producing recorded content for other times of day. Additionally, they will assist other program-related administrative duties. The On-Air Host/Board Operator will work on-site at Valley Public Radio’s broadcast center in Clovis.
- Operate broadcast console and make seamless transitions between national and local content
- Produce, plan, and voice both live & recorded continuity, including feature intros, weather, and forward promotion
- Assemble newscast content from Capital Public Radio Network, Associated Press, The California Report, and KVPR news staff for use in local newscast cutaways; write additional newscast copy as necessary
- Provide consistent on-air delivery, in line with NPR and station standards
- Execute station promotional strategies and priorities as outlined in broadcast log
- Monitor messaging systems for program updates and breaking news; inform appropriate staff of critical updates or issues
- Ensure technical operation of KVPR during the shift, including automated playback and transmission systems
- Serve as an occasional board op during breaking news coverage and other special programming
- Participate in on-air fundraising and station events
- Other production tasks as assigned
- Finalize and reconcile daily programming logs
- Maintain Day Sheet of live read promos and fundraising messaging
- Participate in station newsroom editorial meetings
- Help coordinate station community engagement activities
- Monitor and share content on station social media accounts
Please note: This is not an all-encompassing statement of this position’s responsibilities. While it attempts to be comprehensive, new responsibilities may be assigned to this position at any time.
- Personable on-air delivery
- Ability to maintain composure during stressful situations
- Audio editing/production skills
- Ability to operate broadcast console
Preferred skills and experience:
- Hosting experience in an NPR newsmagazine, or other clock-driven news format
- Experience making editorial decisions in newscast production
- Proficiency with ENCO DAD, or similar broadcast automation software
- Experience managing traffic in Visual Traffic or similar
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and aircheck (or sample of other voice/audio work) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Valley Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. It provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees for jobs, skills training and promotions regardless of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. It will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees who are qualified individuals with a disability as defined by law. Should you require assistance due to a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation for your application process, please send an email to email@example.com or call 559-862-2704.