This position supports the SVP of TheGrio and the VP of Operations in all aspects of the function and growth of TheGrio brand.
This role is a veritable digital Swiss Army knife with responsibilities that include but are not limited to administrative support, light financial work, writing, digital distribution operations, and scheduling. The person in this role will need to learn various software dashboards and execute a wide variety of tasks.
- Supporting the SVP of TheGrio and the VP of Operations.
- Working with TheGrio’s Finance Manager to implement and maintain a freelancer invoicing system.
- Light data entry work.
- Light writing and SEO work in WordPress.
- Learning and using different software platforms.
- Online research.
- Onboarding new freelancers and employees.
- Administrative tasks include scheduling meetings, maintaining records, etc.
- Build attention-grabbing decks and assist in preparing presentations for the SVP.
- Monitoring and ordering and tracking office supply inventory, and replenishing as needed.
- Organizing team-building events and community meet-ups.
- Working on special projects or providing extra support as needed to teams.
- Exercise thoughtful judgment as to the best means of payment for each vendor depending on their unique circumstances and the outlines of their agreement.
- Serving as the liaison and gatekeeper to external partners and staff ensuring timely and appropriate management of all inquiries.
- Preparing weekly and quarterly reports for SVP and others to ensure there is an open line of communication about the status of spending.
- Orienting new staff members and providing supplies/equipment.
- Supporting a culture of teamwork.
- Create mitigations for risk by identifying them early and reporting them.
- Maintaining and enforcing standards and practices guidelines.
- Proactively supporting a healthy newsroom culture with high performance and quality commitments.
- Bachelor’s or equivalent work experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Excellent time and project management skills.
- Able to discreetly maintain sensitive information.
- Confidence in interacting with staff at all levels of the organization, particularly senior levels, as well as outside vendors, editorial contributors, prospective staff members, etc.
- Working knowledge of MS Office and Google Suite.
- Working knowledge of WordPress.
- The right candidate must be a digital native willing to learn software platforms and teach themselves how to accomplish various tasks.
- Demonstrated understanding of social media platforms.
- Demonstrated understanding of communication and video conferencing platforms.
- Able to solve problems autonomously and knowing when to ask for help when issues arise.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment without sacrificing accuracy.
- Strong organizational skills and a keen eye for detail.
- Strong interest in current events.
- Passionate about supporting the amplification of the news and culture of Black people.