The Operations Technician maintains the technical integrity of our station’s newscasts and on-air signals and related equipment.
Audio / Music / Sound
Grip / Lighting / Electric
Baltimore, Maryland Area
Apr 26, 2023
Put your Broadcasting Operations skills to good work by joining the extraordinary team at WBAL Television. The Operations Technician maintains the technical integrity of our station’s newscasts and on-air signals and related equipment. The Operations Technician role in television is challenging, creative and never boring. Know that your work has an impact every day.
What you’ll do
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Operating robotic cameras; operating audio console and all related audio systems including wireless equipment
- Technical directing duties including switcher operation, graphics systems and media playout systems
- Master control duties including automation ingest and playout, following FCC compliance rules and graphics system operations
- Studio floor directing, including moving, maintaining appearance of and handling of props, sets and floors
- Maintain and operate studio lighting system with ability to climb ladders to maintain fixtures
- Assisting with remote and in-house production
- Participate in regular system reboots and tier 1 troubleshooting of control room and studio equipment
- Other duties as assigned
A thorough knowledge, understanding, and familiarity of the essential job functions must be the primary goal within the first 120-180 days. An ongoing effort to gain a holistic overview of broadcast operations, systems, operations, and workflow is essential. Must be willing to work any shift assigned including early mornings, late evenings, weekends and holidays. Must be able to lift 50 pounds. This is an IBEW Union position and requires union membership.
What you’ll need
- Candidates should work well in a team environment, communicate effectively, professionally and respectfully while maintaining a positive attitude in high pressure situations
- A strong attention to detail, computer literate, should possess good technical understanding of equipment, and be able to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment with constant deadlines while adhering to corporate standards, policies and procedures
- Related experience and/or training considered as well as a combination of education and experience