The iHeartPodcast Network is searching for the next wave of podcasters who want an opportunity to develop a podcast centered around their distinct voice.
The NextUp Initiative is a diverse group of creators from all backgrounds, including members of historically underrepresented groups, who will learn the basic steps of podcasting to create and pitch their story, during a 6-month paid bootcamp.
As a creator passionate about all aspects of podcasting including hosting, research, editing, and promotions you will learn from experts in the podcast industry how to prepare your story so your voice can be heard. At the end of the program, you will be ready to pitch your show to a panel of executives within the iHeartPodcast Network for a chance of having your show selected by the Network.
Submit a write-up with 3-4 sentences for each topic below and upload with your resume.
- Tell us a little about yourself. What are your hobbies / interests? What do you feel we should know about you?
- What podcasts do you like to listen to; or, if you don’t listen to podcasts, what makes you interested in them?
- Tell us about a time when you confronted a problem and how it was managed
- What is your experience level with podcasting, (i.e., recording, editing, developing, producing)?
- What do you hope to accomplish with this program?
- What is your availability during the week? (For scheduling purposes, it will not hurt your chances of being selected for the program).
- Would you like to have a career in the podcasting industry after completing the program?
- Pitch two to three ideas for a podcast (doesn’t need to be super fleshed out)
Optional: Submit creative samples of your work (pdf, mp3, or mp4 format), along with a short summary of why you decided to submit the work.
1. Passionate about all aspects of podcasting
2. Attend a two-week orientation from January 9, 2023 - January 20, 2023
3. Commitment of 10 hours weekly, for six months
Is it better to apply as an individual or as a team?
Either is fine. If you’re applying as a team, please let us know the name and role of all applying.
How old do I need to be to apply?
Applicants must be at least 18 years old to apply.
How much time will it take to complete the program?
The program is 6 months long. There will be a two-week orientation, but schedules will be flexible. We encourage applicants of all facets (don’t be discouraged if working parents, those taking care of elderly family members, individuals working full time, etc.) – all should apply.
Do I need any experience to apply?
You do not need experience to apply to NextUP. The best applicants are passionate about all aspects of podcasting from hosting to research, to editing, to promotion.
What happens when it’s over?
When the 6 months are up, you will have minimum three episodes and a pitch. If your show is picked up, you will join the iHeart Podcast slate.
Will iHeart own my podcast?
iHeart will have the right of first refusal for your podcast pitch. If they pass on picking your show up to air, you are free to pitch it somewhere else, or launch it yourself