The CBS News Streaming Network is seeking a New York based WGA PRODUCER to join its 24-hour coverage team.
Interested in joining the team? The CBS News Streaming Network is seeking a New York based WGA PRODUCER to join its 24-hour coverage team. The ideal candidate is proactive, creative and editorially rigorous. They will demonstrate a firm command of journalistic standards, a keen attention to detail, and excellent newsgathering and visual storytelling skills. They must also be calm and efficient during breaking news and, while based in New York, serve as a collaborative member of a global news organization.
The producer will primarily be responsible for producing live and taped programming across a variety of coverage beats including domestic stories, breaking news, international stories, interview segments, reporter cross-talks and debriefs, medical, consumer, tech and cultural reports. This person must have strong news writing skills and a talent for producing compelling, visual segments on tight deadlines.
As a hardworking journalist, the producer needs to be proficient in all of the major storylines unfolding in the news cycle and have the ability to identify important stories that our viewers should know about. You enjoy working in a fast-paced news environment, pitching original ideas daily, carrying out day-of-air segments and pre-producing special coverage, and rising to the occasion during breaking news events.
All applicants will be reviewed and considered for current and near-future openings.
• Identify, pitch, shape and implement news segments with speed and accuracy in a fast paced environment
• Research and produce compelling segments that include quality sound, eye-catching, factually-accurate maps and graphics, and headline-grabbing banners
• Plan and implement content and formatting of show rundowns for a 24-hour streaming news channel
• Write and customize copy for anchor and reporter voices for live segments/readers as well as writing for feature and news packages
• Order original graphics
• Source and edit video elements, including from agency partners and social media
• Prepare anchors and correspondents ahead of segments
• Communicate with correspondents and producers in the bureau and in the field
• Copy edits scripts for grammar, syntax and substance (including fact checking)
• Work closely with the senior show production team and handle breaking and planned news coverage for a 24-hour streaming news network
• Communicate with control room team during execution of live segments
• Participate in daily staff editorial and production meetings
• Work with Digital Line Producers and editors to review and update segments after they air
• Serve as backup Line Producer in the Line Producer's absence
Skills and experience:
• At least 5 years of broadcast or cable news experience, with recent experience at a national or global video news organization that covers late-breaking news
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
• Strong editorial judgment, communication and critical thinking skills
• Impeccable grammar and spelling with attention to detail
• Familiarity and working knowledge of digital video production-related techniques and online content management
• Exhibits calm demeanor in high pressure situations, including control room
• Previous experience working in a live control room, including serving as a Line Producer in a live-news environment
• Command of AP style and broadcast writing
• Familiarity with ENPS
• Basic video editing skills
• Sophisticated knowledge of current events, geopolitics and pop culture
• Ability to multi-task and manage multiple assignments for regular programming as well as rolling breaking news coverage
• Deep understanding of news standards, rights and clearances and fact-checking practices
• Ability to work early mornings, nights, weekends and holidays, sometimes on short notice, as coverage and news priorities require, as this is a 24-hour news operation
Must pass comprehensive CBS News Digital writing test
This position is based out of the CBS News Broadcast Center
Hiring Salary Range: $72,500.00 - 97,000.00.