The Producer will produce live and recorded programming. In this role they will create and write weather & climate news shows and supporting packages.
The person in this role will also be responsible for live coverage of severe weather events.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build show rundown including scriptwriting, package production, graphics elements and live shot coordination.
- Build segments and develop story ideas from conception to air including researching selected topics, writing, coordination of assets, booking guests and overseeing all aspects of production.
- Oversee and execute the production of show video and graphics needs.
- Make editorial decisions and guide anchors/on camera meteorologists, Associate Producers, and technical staff in the control room.
Education, Experience, Certification Requirements:
- At least six years television experience, with a minimum of 3 years as Producer of live news programming in a major television market.
- Four-year college degree or equivalent in proven industry experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to produce live news programs that contain live remote elements from a control room.
- Knowledge of live television production techniques spanning newsroom, studio, and field production methods and equipment.
- Editorially mature with solid news judgment and the ability to create in-depth, visually exciting programs across multiple platforms.
- Proven writing ability, an eye for compelling graphics, and a passion for memorable, creative content.
- Ability to use all production tools available to produce original content and enhance storytelling.
- A strong leader in the control room with the ability to handle breaking news/weather situations.
- Ability to adapt to different show styles or concepts as needed.
- Understanding of social media best practices.
- Outstanding leadership and communication skills, plus the ability to work well with others in stressful situations.
- Knowledge of digital editing systems a plus.