We are seeking a Production and Imaging Specialist to join our team. As the title suggests, the duties are split between traditional Production-related tasks (preflight, PDF generation, proofing) and Imaging (RAW image processing, color correction, compositing, file format conversion).
Digital Imaging Technician
Greater Boston Area
Jun 20, 2023
Production is a fast paced service department that handles all imaging and production aspects throughout the Company including more than 40 magazine and books print products, five web properties, eBook and Tablet editions, and associated marketing materials. We are seeking a Production and Imaging Specialist to join our team.
Reporting to the Photography Director the P&I Assistant will work closely with the Production and Imaging Team as well as the rest of the Photography Team. The P&I Assistant is expected to maintain close working relationships with the internal and external customers we service. As the title suggests, the duties are split between traditional Production-related tasks (preflight, PDF generation, proofing) and Imaging (RAW image processing, color correction, compositing, file format conversion).
The ideal candidate will be able to thrive on independent and collaborative projects while contributing to the team atmosphere. A proven track record of high-output, quality work under strict deadlines is a must.
On the Production side, this position must be able to work independently and is responsible for preflight, creation, and quality assurance of print-ready PDFs and associated contract proofs. On the Imaging side, the P&I Assistant needs to be an expert in the production use of Photoshop. The P&I Assistant will be required to perform imaging tasks in the confines of a structured workflow that uses various automation techniques and manual steps.
ESSENTIAL ELEMENTS OF POSITION:
- Tone DNG/RAW files with Adobe Camera Raw to produce working Photoshop Native files
- Non-destructive photo retouching and/or compositing.
- Silhouetting (aka creating knock-outs, cut-outs, etc.) of product images
- Color correction
- Application of standard and proprietary metadata
- Native file corrections.
- Maintaining asset-management/archive protocol
- Provide back up for Imaging Specialists.
- Create and inspect print-ready PDF files from native InDesign layout files.
- Output Contract Proofs and relay to Traffic Manager.
- Transfer PDF files to vendor through FTP or other electronic methods.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Comprehensive knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite software, particularly Photoshop, Adobe Camera Raw, InDesign, Bridge.
- Demonstrated collaborative and support skills in editorial environments.
- Understanding of Color Theory as related to offset printing.
- Understanding of multi-color offset printing.
- A strong background using Mac OS X
- Detail orientation and ability to multitask to meet deadlines.
- Responsible and dependable with superior organizational skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Flexibility during peak work periods.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Prior experience with DAM Systems (i.e. Canto Cumulus Enterprise)
- Prior experience with Cross Media Publishing / Editorial Workflow Collaboration systems (i.e. K4 or Woodwing)
- Understanding of XML
- ePub, Mobi and KF8 file formats and specifications.
- Recording actions in Photoshop
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associates Degree (or equivalent) in Graphic Arts or Print related field preferred.
- 2 to 5 years experience in a graphic and print product production environment (preferably in magazine publication).
- Previous experience in food-related business or demonstrated interest in cooking desirable