KSHB, the Scripps NBC station in Kansas City, MO has an opening for a Real-Time Editor to join its team. The Real-Time Editor is responsible for managing all cross-platform content gathering operations at the station during their assigned shift.
Kansas City, Missouri Area
Apr 12, 2022
Duties include story scouting, writing for and monitoring digital platforms, field crew management and monitoring of scanner and news email. The Real-Time Editor acts as a content distributor for our digital channels, and is responsible for news writing and editing, social media oversight and pushing out web and mobile breaking news alerts.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- The Real Time editor position will work collaboratively with others in the newsroom to generate and showcase cross-platform content, including web, social, audio, broadcast, streaming and video.
- Write, edit and optimize digital story content as it is gathered for the web, with story-by-story direction from the Newsroom Managers.
- Assign and manage field crew placement and technical logistics, including but not limited to live truck placement, satellite time bookings, resource needs, etc.
- Work as a savvy social media expert by crafting content for station accounts that actively engage and interact with our audience, in line with standards set by the Newsroom Managers.
- Monitors station email, scanners and social media messages in real-time to stay ahead of stories as they occur in the community.
- Apply knowledge of the dynamics of digital media as well as television content distribution, and actively work to gather elements advantageous to both platforms.
- Oversee the completion of assignments, including planning, assigning, monitoring and reviewing progress and accuracy of work, evaluating results, etc.
- Act as a research partner to field crews, helping to foster enterprise story news gathering.
- Perform other duties as needed.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- BS/BA in Journalism or related discipline.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in content gathering and/or distribution background. Preferred focus in digital media, content management systems, basic HTML, image editing, and web style writing and social networking.