WPTV, The E.W. Scripps Company NBC affiliate in West Palm Beach, FL, is looking for a Real-Time Editor to join our team. The Real-Time Editor is responsible for managing all cross-platform content gathering operations at the station during their assigned shift.
West Palm Beach, Florida Area
Mar 22, 2023
Duties include story scouting, field crew management and monitoring of scanner, digital platforms and news email. Acts as a content distributor for our digital channels, and is responsible for news writing and editing, social media oversight and pushing out web and mobile breaking news alerts.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Identify breaking news in real-time and aggressively gather facts for cross-platform distribution by managing all internal and external content. Prepare for cross-platform distribution.
- Write, edit and optimize digital story content as it is gathered for the web, with story-by-story direction from Executive Producer of Real-Time Desk.
- Assign and manage field crew placement and technical logistics, including but not limited to live truck placement, satellite time bookings, resource needs, etc.
- Work as a savvy social media expert by crafting content for station accounts that actively engage and interact with our audience, in line with standards set by Executive Producer of Real-Time Desk.
- Monitors station email and scanners in real-time to stay ahead of stories as they occur in the community.
- Apply knowledge of the dynamics of digital media as well as television content distribution, and actively work to gather elements advantageous to both platforms.
- Oversee the completion of assignments, including planning, assigning, monitoring and reviewing progress and accuracy of work, evaluating results, etc.
- Act as a research partner to field crews, helping to foster enterprise story news gathering.
- Perform other duties as needed.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- BS/BA in Journalism or related discipline preferred.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in content gathering and/or distribution background. Preferred focus in digital media, content management systems, basic HTML, image editing, web and TV-style writing and social networking preferred.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING:
- Excellent verbal, written and social media communication skills.
- Identifies key barriers/core problems and applies problem-solving skills in order to deal creatively with complex situations.
- Thinks strategically to be competitive and innovative in a crowded marketplace. Troubleshoots and resolves complex problems.
- Operates with considerable latitude; independently performs assignments to results expected; determines and develops approach to solutions.
- Working knowledge of industry technologies and practices.
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office, social media programs and newsroom computer systems, including iNews.
- Ability to collaborate well in a team and make decisions quickly during any type of coverage.
- Ability to work independently, and effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment by remaining calm under pressure.
- Non-traditional shifts (Desk is staffed 24/7).
Day, Evening, Overnight