WABE: Oversee all aspects of production for daily news/talk program.
Closer Look with Rose Scott is a daily show about the Atlanta region, covering a variety of topics that impact our quality of life – transportation, housing, education, health and wellness, workforce development, politics, and more. Since the show launched in January 2015, host Rose Scott has interviewed thousands of guests including police chiefs, school superintendents, students, civil and human rights leaders, authors, entrepreneurs, doctors, and lawmakers.
Oversee all aspects of production for daily news/talk program. Lead and supervise producers, working in concert with the host/executive producer. Ensure program consistently meets the highest journalistic standards of fairness and professionalism. Oversee creation of digital brand extensions and multi-platform elements of Closer Look stories and series.
- In conjunction with the program host, the Sr. Producer leads editorial and production efforts for the daily Closer Look program
- Oversees the research and assignment of a wide range of political, cultural, and social topics, and the conceptualization and shaping of compelling stories on air and online
- Communicates the vision of the program to the staff and collaborates with other departments
- Manages the planning, shaping, and execution of segments related to local and national current events by creating compelling content that sparks vibrant conversations on air and online
- Frames issues for discussion; identifies, contacts, and interviews potential guests under stringent time deadlines, and oversees and writes scripts for the on-air host
- Responsible for overall tone and editorial balance
- Works closely with the program host and chief content officer to develop long-range editorial strategy and content plans including growing the show into a national program.
- Helps to conceive the program’s digital and social media content, taking an active role in extending the Closer Look brand to new audiences on multiple platforms including podcasts
- Consistently assesses the program’s content and priorities by providing regular episode feedback, feedback to staff members, and analyzing audience data and listeners response.
- Originates creative segment ideas for the program and helps produce those segments
- Produces in-the-field reports and features to air on the program
- Maintains/plans calendar of program content and interview opportunities
- Assigns tasks to producers
- Provides direction and coaching to show staff and ensures that they are working towards a clear and shared vision for the show
- Develops and produces live special events and remote broadcasts
- Cultivates sources at local community organizations, universities, businesses, government agencies, etc.
- Collaborates with Operations department on engineering and equipment issues
- Ensures each day’s broadcast meets the highest editorial standards and audio quality
- When applicable, fills in as on-air host or as interviewer for Closer Look segments
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proven ability to contribute to a positive, diverse, creative, high-performance culture
- Exceptional and proven management and leadership skills, with an emphasis on leading by example and supporting teams of creative professionals
- Ability to evaluate content/quality/sound and act decisively with sound management and direction
- Ability to think and plan strategically
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships and represent the program internally and externally
- Ability to maintain high journalistic and production standards under deadline pressure
- Understanding of today’s digital media landscape and how content can be produced to serve several audiences across various platforms
- Demonstrated ability to identify trends and generate and execute complex creative ideas
- Keen understanding of national and international current events
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong research skills
- Superb oral and written communication skills
- Ability to deal with a broad variety of complex projects and assignments
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field, or comparable experience
- 5+ years working in broadcast journalism with at least two years at a national level; hands-on experience with a daily radio show is highly preferred
- At least two years’ experience managing a show team
- Experience managing and producing content for a live daily talk program that meets NPR standards
- Experience developing high-quality digital-only content
- Highly proficient with digital audio editing software (Adobe Audition or other)
- Other Attributes
- On-air hosting experience is preferred, but not required
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. May require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required (up to 10 lbs.), filing documents or store materials throughout the workday. Proper lifting techniques required. For the most part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office environment.
For consideration, submit cover letter and resume to:
Attention: Human Resources
740 Bismark Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
Apply online at: www.wabe.org