The Show Set Department turns concepts into reality, supporting the project team in creating the best show in the most effective manner.
The Show Set Department turns concepts into reality, supporting the project team in creating the best show in the most effective manner. The Show Set Department creates documents which express the design intent, coordinates all show fields within the boundaries of the architecture, and develops that intent into a biddable set of documents for construction. The Show Set Department continues its support of the design intent in vendor shops and through installation in the field. Areas of direct responsibility include all set walls, scenic flats, platforms, ground rows, murals, set decoration, animated props and artificial foliage. Additionally, the Show Set Designer coordinates the ride system, animated figures, show-action equipment, projection equipment, audio equipment, ride sensors, special effects, rigging elements, facility elements, control rooms, guest egress, sprinklers, electrical boxes, exit signs, catwalks, themed lighting, show lighting, visual intrusion, maintenance access and all other physical entities within the show environment. Through the many artifices of the stage and entertainment medias, it is the mission of the Show Set Department to create highly entertaining environments in which the magic of each Disney story is possible.
- The Show Set Designer may independently craft single "Attraction" level projects.
- Develop and communicate Show Set designs according to company standards and guidelines.
- Support and assist Senior and Principal Show Set designers as required.
- With support of Project leads and Management development workplans, budgets and schedules.
- Track and report on work progress against schedule and budgets
- Artistically hard-working as a designer with ability to work across varied design styles.
- Helps others achieve goals and objectives.
- Time spent leading others: less than 25%
- May provide vendor supervision
- May take field assignment work with contractors.
Basic Qualifications/You Will Have
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in the field of Scenic Design with work in Film, Theatre or Theme Park industry.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in CAD drafting both 2D and 3D
- Proficient with 3D modeling in Revit and or Rhino
- Deals optimally with large amounts of data, changing conditions, incomplete data or uncertainty; understands how seemingly unrelated issues interact and affect one another
- Perceived as diligent detailed, knowledgeable, and hardworking; assume ownership for work in both word and deeds
- Proven track record to build contract documents across a variety of theming styles using hand drawings, 2D AutoCAD and 3D Model skills.
- Experience with BIM/IPD design and implementation strategies.
- Able to follow and apply all company drafting standards, policies and procedures
- Works with the team to assist in the development of the scope, schedule and strategies for the project
- Excellent communication skills, initiative-taker, highly motivated and highly respected
- Willing to travel for extended periods of time
- BA, BFA, MFA in Theatre Design, Film Production, Architecture, with specialty in Scenic Design, Production Design, Interior Design, or Themed Architecture, or equivalent work experience