The Show Set Department turns concepts into reality, supporting the project team in creating the best show in the most effective manner.
The Show Set Department turns concepts into reality, supporting the project team in creating the best show in the most effective manner. The Show Set Department creates documents which express the design intent, coordinates all show fields within the boundaries of the architecture, and develops that intent into a biddable set of documents for construction. The Show Set Department continues its support of the design intent in vendor shops and through installation in the field. Areas of direct responsibility include all set walls, scenic flats, platforms, ground rows, murals, set decoration, animated props and artificial foliage. Additionally, the Show Set Designer coordinates the ride system, animated figures, show-action equipment, projection equipment, audio equipment, ride sensors, special effects, rigging elements, facility elements, control rooms, guest egress, sprinklers, electrical boxes, exit signs, catwalks, themed lighting, show lighting, visual intrusion, maintenance access and all other physical entities within the show environment. Through the many artifices of the stage and entertainment medias, it is the mission of the Show Set Department to create highly entertaining environments in which the magic of each Disney story is possible.
- Responsible for show set design on an individual or multiple “Attraction(s)” to a “Land” level.
- Assist production designers and model shop artists in coordinating models with drawings, participate in researching applicable materials and construction techniques, and support mock-ups and presentations.
- The designer directs and assists staff to create Show Set documents following company standards and guidelines.
- Supervision of vendor interfaces and work progress in outside shops and job sites will also be required.
- Providing technical, managerial, and artistic leadership on projects is critical while also participating in functional department initiatives.
- A highly motivated and respected individual who will direct and assist show set teams and collaborate with project teams and leadership is sought after.
- Role includes presenting updates to senior executives and leadership of others up to 50% of the time.
- Supervise show set team during design and installation crews in the field and will often be the single point of contact on assignments.
Basic Qualifications/You Will Have
- A minimum of 6 years’ experience in the field of Scenic Design, with work in Film, Theatre or Theme Park industry.
- Minimum 6 years’ experience in CAD design and implementation.
- Exceptional skills in the development and communication of show set designs and concepts as well as the ability to assist teams in all stages of a project.
- Ability to supervise and lead vendors
- Must show strong leadership and organizational skills as well as the ability to thrive in a team environment.
- Independent development of work plans, schedule and budgets are required for this role.
- Participation and proficient understanding of BIM/IPD principles and techniques.
- Domestic and international travel may be required
- Bachelor’s degree in Theatre Design, Film Production, Architecture, with specialty in Scenic Design, Production Design, Interior Design, or Themed Architecture, or equivalent work experience.
- Advanced graduate degree in a related specialized field
The hiring range for this position in Glendale, CA is ( $92,742.00-$124,410.00 ) per year.