Atlanta, GA TheGrio is looking for a video editor/multimedia designer to edit compelling original social video and graphic design content for all social platforms.
(n) grī/ō, ‘grīō: Journalist. Historian. Praise Singer. Poet. Musician. Curator. Storyteller.
TheGrio, is a digital, video-centric news community devoted to giving voice to trusted figures on the front line who inspire us every day, and to fresh perspectives who buck convention because there’s more than one way to be Black. We believe a well-informed community best determines its own interests. And so, TheGrio’s editorial mandate is to focus on news and events which have a pronounced impact on a Black global audience. We unabashedly explore culture and entertainment, health and lifestyle, politics and policy, business and empowerment, science and climate, tech and innovation, and everything in between that matters to us. From Kampala to Atlanta TheGrio is Black culture amplified.
TheGrio is strongly building its editorial staff. It is an investment in the business's core competencies. These jobs will primarily be based in NY and Atlanta. Some of the positions will be opportunities to work from other cities or fully remote. Byron Allen, CEO of Allen Media Group, says, “TheGrio is the leader of fearless journalism and inspirational storytelling about Black people. No other Black news outlet has our cumulative audience reach or impact. This is a natural growth of our brand sponsorships, and editorial partnerships for TheGrio's content on digital, mobile, streaming, podcasts, and social media.”
TheGrio is looking for a video editor/multimedia designer to edit compelling original social video and graphic design content for all social platforms. This individual will work primarily with theGrio Social Team on daily news content so must be adept at all major social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok) and able to create the graphic look and feel for editorial packages and content. We’re looking for a creative partner, who doesn’t just execute edits, but is willing to contribute recommendations and ideas. This role is a vital part of our daily editorial operation and is intended for a candidate with a strong passion for news and original content creation. It is critical that this person has excellent news judgment covering a range of subjects including Black culture, politics, entertainment, social justice, health, business, higher education issues, etc.
The ideal candidate should have an expert background in video editing and graphic design, and a portfolio that demonstrates the ability to deliver engaging work. The candidate should be able to edit under deadline pressure and optimize video content for digital audiences.
- Concepting and designing creative for social media campaigns including templates and motion graphics and quarterly aesthetic refreshes
- Production and editing of TikTok videos and Instagram Reels
- Contribute to bi-weekly social team brainstorming meetings
- Working with Social Media Team to create more engaging video and design content for theGrio audience
- Manage production of all deliverables from conception to completion
- Consistently seek out new design methods and techniques to keep theGrio brand relevant and competitive
- Defines and edits video daily in collaboration with production teams
- Adeptly edits video content according to the styles of each social media platform with a keen understanding of the audience expectations
- Utilizes advanced editing software and techniques to edit video footage and execute UI design
- Designs the best UX/UI content across all social accounts to continually update, evolve and enhance the user experience.
- Executes excellent sound effects, music, graphics, special effects and creative sound design to enhance video.
- Ensuring the highest quality sound and video products.
- Ensuring the accurate and timely management of library, archive, and music material
- Able to build productive relationships and work with a team
- Produces quality within tight deadlines
- Maintaining standards and practices guidelines.
- Proactively supporting a healthy newsroom culture with high performance and quality commitments.
- Helping the team work through technical issues and anticipate technical needs.
- Stays up to date on news and current affairs pertaining to Black America and the diaspora.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Adept at current news in politics, pop culture, music, sports and always keeping a pulse on Twitter trending topics, internet and meme culture -- an ‘ear to the streets’ is a must!
- High level of technical proficiency in Canva graphic design platform and Adobe Creative Suite (Premiere & After Effects)
- 4+ years of experience in creating high-quality video content
- Proficient in Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro
- Photography skills are a plus
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills and works well under deadline pressure.
- Highly organized in curation of project files and archives
- Ability to take direction and efficiently implement feedback
- Ability to work independently and proactively
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced environment with tight deadlines, multi-tasking successfully
- Infallible attention to detail
- Strong knowledge of current events
- Willing to work in Atlanta, GA
We are the #1 Black-owned, digital video-centric news platform devoted to providing Black America with compelling stories and perspectives.
Established in 2009, TheGrio is a trusted voice in the Black community. In 2021, we're continuing to reshape media narratives, uplift Black voices, and report from the front lines of our communities.