The Technical Director is responsible for leading technical production efforts related to the development and maintenance of props & puppets used within live entertainment shows and product offerings for Disney Cruise Line Entertainment.
Live Event / On Location Services
Orlando, Florida Area
Jan 04, 2023
You will report to the Manager, Entertainment Technical Direction & Operations.
This is temporary position with no guarantee of full-time placement.
Your Responsibilities- How You Will Make a Difference
- The Technical Director leads technical production efforts on projects involving the development of props & puppets for shows and spectaculars for Disney Cruise Line throughout the ships and private island locations.
- Duties include coordinating bid processes and vendor selections with contracts and procurement, and managing vendor efforts including design development, construction and interaction with other party’s fabrication, shipping, installation and buy-off.
- The Technical Director supports/consults on props & puppets maintenance and design and provides ongoing Entertainment Show Quality evaluations as part of implementation and operational planning and maintains project files, tech logs, design documents, bid packages, schedules and punch lists.
- Prop/puppet support for Disney Cruise Lines Toronto rehearsal facility as required.
- Partners with shoreside Entertainment Technical Operations to manage props & puppets sustainment and rotational Cast usage.
- Partners with shoreside Technical Production Manager to facilitate shoreside training for new hire technicians.
- Partners with shipboard Manager of Entertainment Technical for ongoing shipwide support.
- Provides support to shipboard entertainment technical teams with regards to past, present and future show installations.
- Complies with set policies and procedures as well as all maritime and ship rules, regulations and procedures.
- Partner with shoreside Entertainment Technical Leadership, Disney Cruise Line Safety partners and the Standards and Sustainment team to ensure Safety Management System and Operating Guideline documentation is up to date and in accordance with current safety and regulatory practices.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in Technical Theater or Live Show Entertainment.
- Proven experience with prop/puppet design, engineering, and construction.
- Proven knowledge and experience in prop and puppet maintenance.
- Demonstrated knowledge and familiarity with entertainment industry state-of-the-art technologies.
- Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to express creative ideas.
- Detail oriented with excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize, and able to meet deadlines.
- Strong troubleshooting, problem solving and decision-making skills, often under pressure.
- Demonstrated leadership, partnering and strategic planning skills.
- Highly motivated requiring minimal direction and follow up.
- Strong computer skills (Outlook, Microsoft Suite, AutoCAD).
- Proven ability to support the creative process by collaborating with other designers, directors, writers, and producers.
- Ability to be flexible with work schedule, including nights, weekends, holidays and frequent extended international travel.
- Bachelor’s degree in Technical Theater or equivalent with focus on prop/puppet construction.
- Proven business management experience.