A Characters Shading Technical Director is responsible for working with Art Designers and Lighters to realize a character in digital form.
San Francisco Bay Area
Mar 16, 2022
A Characters Shading Technical Director is responsible for working with Art Designers and Lighters to realize a character in digital form. This includes coloring, texturing and the authoring of material responses for the character's 3D geometry and the delivery of a well-designed set of lighting and rendering controls.
- Develops and implements texture, color, and material properties of characters, garments, and props
- Develops shaders using a wide range of techniques and resources, including 2D / 3D texture painting, procedural signals, reuse and modification of existing shading functions, and the creation of original algorithmic work
- Maintains asset stability for downstream departments
- Works closely with production designers and directors to iterate on the desired look
- Work may be expressed as drawings, paintings, photographics and motion picture references and/or actual reference objects or location
- May be asked to paint textures in programs like Adobe Photoshop or The Foundry's Mari
- Projects may also include technical development such as implementing procedurals in the Renderman shading language, writing Renderman DSOs and other graphics functionality, and optimizing existing pipelines and assets