The Technical Director, supporting Disney Cruise Line, is responsible for leading technical production efforts related to the development of live entertainment shows and product offerings, including stage shows, deck shows, youth activities, and special events for Disney Cruise Line ships and islands.
Live Event / On Location Services
Orlando, Florida Area
Sep 14, 2023
The Technical Director, supporting Disney Cruise Line, is responsible for leading technical production efforts related to the development of live entertainment shows and product offerings, including stage shows, deck shows, youth activities, and special events for Disney Cruise Line ships and islands. The Technical Director will ensure compliance with company standards, maritime regulations and local authority having jurisdiction related to live entertainment shows and product offerings for Disney Cruise Line Entertainment.
You will report to the Manager, Entertainment Technical Design and Delivery
- Lead development, production and delivery of the technical design elements for live entertainment projects, with a specialized focus on the design, fabrication, installation, and sustainment.
- Serve as a project leader to facilitate and integrate all design disciplines, and maintain project files, design documents, bid packages, schedules, and punch lists.
- Provide leadership and functions as a mentor/developer, promotes company-wide standards and efficiencies, and provides professional guidance to partners and team members.
- Participate in creative development and coordinate/partner with local and government authorities responsible for legal code compliance, including safety, engineering and ADA.
- Coordinate bid processes and vendor selection with contracts and procurement.
- Managing vendor efforts including design development, construction, fabrication, integration with other vendors, shipping, installation and buy-off.
- Consult on maintenance and provides ongoing Entertainment Show Quality evaluations in partnership with Entertainment Technical Operations as part of implementation and operational planning.
- Partners with shoreside Entertainment Technical Operations to manage scenic and technical sustainment throughout the ships and for island support.
- Partners with shipboard Manager of Entertainment Technical for ongoing entertainment technical support.
- Partners with Disney Cruise Line Safety team to ensure compliance with set policies and procedures as well as all maritime and ship safety standards and Flag compliance.
- Partners with Walt Disney Parks & Resorts Entertainment Standards team to ensure company standards compliance.
- Partners with Worldwide Safety and Design Assurances teams to ensure company standards are met.
- Partner with shoreside Entertainment Technical Leadership, Disney Cruise Line Safety partners and the Standards and Sustainment team to ensure Safety Management Systems and Operating Guideline documentation is up to date and in accordance with current safety and regulatory practices.
Basic Qualifications/You will Have
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in Technical Theater or Live Show Entertainment.
- Proven knowledge and understanding of the operation and artistic application of a wide variety of show systems and technology, including audio, special effects, puppets, lighting, show control systems, video, facilities and rigging.
- Demonstrated knowledge and familiarity with entertainment industry state-of-the-art technologies.
- Experience with facility design, engineering, and construction.
- Strong troubleshooting, problem solving and decision-making skills, often under pressure.
- Strong computer skills (Outlook, Microsoft Suite, AutoCAD).
- Experience supporting the creative process by collaborating with other designers, directors, writers, and producers.
- Ability to be flexible with work schedule, including nights, weekends, holidays and frequent extended international travel.
- Bachelor’s degree in Technical Theater or equivalent with focus on technical design, construction, and production.
- Proven business management experience.
- Proven knowledge and proficiency in some or all of the following engineering disciplines: Structural, Mechanical, Electrical, Software, Safety
This is a 24-month Project Hire/Internal Assignment position with no guarantee of permanent placement.