Have you wondered how your skills and talents could translate into the world of animation? Our Internship Program dives into the craft, technology, and operations behind our animated films while developing your skills and connecting you to industry mentors.
The Internship Program
Have you wondered how your skills and talents could translate into the world of animation? Our Internship Program dives into the craft, technology, and operations behind our animated films while developing your skills and connecting you to industry mentors. You'll learn what it means to be a part of a collaborative team and how your unique talents can grow within our studio. Find yourself immersed in hands-on projects and learning guided by our artists, technologists, and production leaders.
Am I Eligible?
- At the time of application, must be enrolled in an accredited college/university, taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must provide full work availability
- Program Length: The approximate dates of this internship are May/June - August/September 2023
- Interns must be fully available for the duration of a 12-week assignment
- Please note, that the safety and well-being of our teams is very important to us. We will be determining whether this program will be in-person at our Burbank, CA studio or virtual in the coming months based on government recommendations.
For our 2023 programs, we are committed to providing mentorship and development. Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Internship Program provides emerging talent with an immersive view of animation through educational seminars on craft and filmmaking, reinforced by individual and technical projects.
The software engineers on our Hair & Cloth team are responsible for developing and supporting the tools that the artists use across our full end-to-end hair, and cloth pipelines, all the way from grooming/tailoring, to simulation rig setup, and technical animation shot work. We are looking for an intern to partner with our Hair & Cloth team engineers and artists to explore new and innovative advances to our in-house grooming toolset and workflows.
Both hair grooming and simulation are heavily art-directed processes at our studio. Our artists utilize a set of in-house procedural grooming tools to create a wide variety of hairstyles for our characters. Hair motion is subsequently driven by our simulation toolset. The grooms, therefore, need to be suitable for simulation, and at the same time, the simulation needs to maintain the art-directed groom.
The focus of this project is to investigate ways to advance our grooming workflows. Some goals include providing artists with even more intuitive, art-directed control while grooming, as well as utilizing physics-aware hair manipulation/authoring to produce simulation-ready grooms by construction. See details below on what working with this team for the Summer of 2023 will entail:
- Reviewing related state-of-the-art publications
- Collaborating with artists and engineers toward effective solutions
- Exploring the use of modular, procedural networks for non-destructive modification of grooms
- Designing physics-aware hair authoring techniques to create simulation-suitable hairstyles
- Implementing real-time artist-friendly interfaces that can be evaluated through a usable prototype
- Identifying performance bottlenecks and implementing solutions for optimization
- Proficiency in C++, ideally C++11/14
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills
- Understanding of computer graphics foundational concepts and algorithms
- Experience designing and implementing interactive graphics toolsets with a focus on user experience
- Has or is pursuing a degree in Computer Science, Computer Graphics, Mathematics, Physics, or Engineering at a graduate level or above
- Knowledge of physics, mathematics, and simulation techniques
- Familiarity with various modeling animation toolkits, such as Maya or Houdini
- Knowledge of data flow and graphics pipeline interaction in an industry setting (especially relating to hair)
- Experience with scripting languages, including Python
- Experience writing performant parallel code