The award-winning Design Department at ABC 7 produces full-scope multiplatform creative for local events, special programs, initiatives, and newscasts.
Greater Chicago Area
May 26, 2023
Aug 14, 2023
ABC7 (WLS-TV) Chicago is the Midwest flagship of the ABC television network. ABC7 leads the market in local news coverage, signature local events and programming, and has been in a number one position in local news since March 1986. The award-winning Design Department at ABC 7 produces full-scope multiplatform creative for local events, special programs, initiatives, and newscasts. The station’s offices and studios are in The Loop in downtown Chicago.
A Day in the Life…
- Immersion in department meetings and critiques for creative design projects.
- Support designers and animators working with creative briefs and requests
- Assist in asset creation and learn the ropes of creative project planning
- Participate in collaborative project discussions
- Experience the motion design process from conceptualization to completion and distribution
- Develop a thorough understanding of how design comes to life through animation and logic-based behaviors
- Create artwork for multi-platform design projects
What we are looking for…
- Undergraduate students in their Junior or Senior year or recently graduated within the past 6 months
- Curiosity and a desire to learn about brands and multi-platform design.
- A discerning eye for the fundamentals of design including layout, composition and typography
- Passion to explore creative techniques, graphic functionality and behaviors.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Adobe Photoshop, After Effects, and Illustrator.
- Understanding of visual communication for storytelling
- Familiarity with graphic and animation formats and file types
- Effective communication, organizational, and time-management skills.
- Studying Graphic Design, Motion Design or Communication Design in college
- Passion and ambition to explore creative techniques with infographics, brands and storytelling
- Ambitious, motivated self-starter who can thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Exposure to other Adobe Creative Cloud apps (Adobe InDesign or Adobe Animate) and/or 3D platforms (such as Maxon) is helpful.
- Character design and modeling is considered relevant related experience, with the understanding this role is geared to creative design for marketing and content.
- Technically savvy using both Mac and PC platforms
- Proficiency with MS Office products including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is preferred.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within 6 months OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
- All candidates must be available from August 2023 through early January 2024
- All candidates must be willing to work 20 hours/week during a Monday through Sunday schedule (hours and days to be determined by your supervisor, and could include nights, weekends, and holidays)
- All candidates must be able to have a consistent, reliable work schedule throughout the session
- All candidates must provide their own housing and transportation for the duration of the internship. This internship is located in Chicago, IL.
- A Cover Letter outlining your interest in this position, and relative experience in work, school, and extracurricular activities
- Include a link to a portfolio or work samples of Graphic Design and/or Animation work for consideration