As Equals is a cross-platform CNN initiative dedicated to publishing challenging, engaging and sustained coverage of gender inequality globally. The successful candidate will be responsible for reporting and producing stories on gender inequality across CNN’s platforms, with an emphasis on digital.
Jul 18, 2023
As Equals is a cross-platform CNN initiative dedicated to publishing challenging, engaging and sustained coverage of gender inequality globally.
The successful candidate will be responsible for reporting and producing stories on gender inequality across CNN’s platforms, with an emphasis on digital. The reporter will be primarily focused on substantial enterprise and investigative reporting but will write news or analysis on gender inequality as needed off the news cycle, likely a few times a month.
In addition to working on their own stories for the series, the successful candidate will also work collaboratively with freelancers and other CNN journalists to bring compelling and important stories about gender inequality from India and Southeast Asia to a global audience.
From January 2021, As Equals will receive financial support from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. The reporter role is a fixed term contract for the duration of the funding period it will focus solely on gender inequality (until January 2024).
What will you be doing?
- Sources, reports and produces mainly enterprise stories on gender inequality
- Collaborates with designers, developers, video editors etc. to produce world class digital storytelling that goes far beyond written journalism
- Monitors and stays across current conversations around gender inequality across India and the rest of the region
- Takes complicated, dense subjects and themes and reports them in a way that draws in a loyal and returning audience
- Represents the series in India and Southeast Asia when needed
What do you need from you?
- Is passionate about gender inequality and can show substantial previous reporting
- Is excellent at pitching, developing ideas and turning broad thoughts into sharp story ideas
- Is able to work remotely from the rest of the series team and be energized and self-motivated to do so
- Can move easily between different formats, for example written enterprise features, data-led interactive pieces or newsletters
- Has a deep contact book of sources related to covering gender inequality in Southeast Asia
- Is an accomplished writer and digital storyteller
- Files excellent copy and is prepared for a robust editing process
- A deep understanding of contemporary digital (and especially mobile) audiences
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Understanding of journalistic standards and media law
- University/college degree not a requirement