Breaking news coverage is at the heart of what CNN does, and this role is critical to keeping our digital audience up to speed on the latest developments from the White House and the campaign trail.
Washington D.C. Metro Area
Jul 10, 2023
Breaking news coverage is at the heart of what CNN does, and this role is critical to keeping our digital audience up to speed on the latest developments from the White House and the campaign trail. This writer will cover some of the biggest stories of the day, collaborating with correspondents and teams in the field as well as being the lead writer on breaking news from 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. or from our Washington bureau.
This position is primarily a breaking news role, anchoring digital coverage with opportunities to develop quick-turn enterprise and sourced reporting. Day to day:
- You’ll be writing politics breaking news pieces.
- You’ll pitch stories and collaborate with team members on daily news priorities.
- You’ll work quickly to familiarize yourself with the major players, policies and key news lines in any breaking story.
- You’ll find opportunities to own coverage areas and develop distinctive enterprise stories.
- 2+ years of digital storytelling experience and a college degree or equivalent.
- Willingness to work nights and weekends to accommodate news events.
- Ability to work quickly under pressure and experience handling breaking news stories is a must.
- Skill in writing headlines and a sharp, precise paragraph that captures the essence of the story.
- Strong communication skills and a desire to collaborate. We are a truly cross-functional team that works with nearly every desk and department across teams and bureaus.