Creates, produces and announces topics on the radio, including music, entertainment, politics, news, weather, sports, traffic and other topics of interest.
What You'll Do:
• Delivers newscasts; announces radio playlist of musical selections; gives weather and traffic conditions; delivers sport scores, statistics and upcoming game information.
• Comments on music and other matters of interest to audience (e.g. time, weather, traffic conditions) and may interview musical personalities and members of listening audience.
• Typically specializes in one type of music (e.g. classical, pop, rock, country and western, etc.).
• Writes, reviews and/or edits news copy, introductions, public service announcements, commercials, pre-recorded reports, contests, etc.
• Participates in promotional events.
• May be responsible for operating control board for studios and remote programming.
• May directly sell advertising space to advertisers.
• Regulates program timing, operates syndicated programming, and plays commercials.
• Monitors the technical quality and accuracy of incoming and outgoing on-air programming from master control room.
• Protects station’s license by censoring live programs and deleting words/phrases not permitted on air.
• Processes time-out programming for accurate play back.
• Checks studio equipment for proper functioning and notifies Engineering of technical malfunctions affecting quality of the broadcast.
• Handles emergency inserts (e.g. news updates and breaking stories, emergencies, alert system tests, etc.).
• Socially informed and perceptive; up-to-date and in tune with the local and national trends and/or specialized knowledge of topics/events related to on-air discussions
• Pleasant, charismatic and well-controlled voice; excellent pronunciation
• Well-rounded communication skills for conducting interviews
• Ability to make others feel comfortable and open up on air
• Excellent writing and editing skills; proficient in grammar
• Proficient in media production and broadcast systems
• Proficient in Microsoft Office and social networking
• May require selling skills
• May require other language proficiency, e.g., Spanish
• 1-2 years’ experience as an announcer in smaller market or college station environment
• 4-year college degree, preferably in Communications or Broadcast Journalism